satellite internet service

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DannyL, Mar 21, 2002.

1. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

i wasn't sure if i should put this in this forum or computers. does anyone use either the echostar or dishnetwork satellite internet connections. i don't have access to dsl or cable modem. how fast are the connections and are they worth the money for equipment and installation? also do you need a separate dish if you want hdtv capability?

2. tony randall

tony randall Stunt Coordinator

I was just going to bite the bullet and sign up for earthlink's satellite when cable modems became available in my area. I don't know anyone who uses that service, but it is a 2-way, where AOL's is satellite down, phone up.
    Check out www.dslreports.com for information on speeds. It is an extensive site, and two weeks ago I was testing my down/up speeds there and did see references to satellite speed.

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

When my provider of long-reach DSL went under, I bit the bullet and got the Dish Network offering (Starband).

It's better than a modem - always on. The problem is that surfing is "bursty". You wait, wait, then suddenly most/all of your page appears.

The request your browser makes goes to the central site, it collects the web page, compresses it and squirts it to you.

Once you get used to it, it's fine.

But cable modems and DSL tend to be better/faster/cheaper.

The service is around $80 /mo and you must buy about $600 worth of equipment.