Satellite - HELP!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by _Jay_, Feb 24, 2004.

1. _Jay_

_Jay_ Agent

I really am disliking Time Warner Cable where I live and I am seriously thinking about going to satellite. I just have a few reservations because I do not know anything about satellite tv.

Weather - does it really screw with the signal?

DirecTV - can someone put their FAQ that I've been reading into English? The more I read their site the more I believe that their basic package that is $39.99 a month isn't really true b/c you have to pay this silly $4.99 a month for each extra receiver? Wth is up with that?

DishNetwork - Don't know anything about it. Seems to be less expensive but not as feature rich.

Anyone have any reviews of these issues? Know of a good site I can do more research on them? I'm not into all the extra DirecTivo or HD stuff. I'm just looking for the basic packages nothing fancy.

Thanks for any help.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    At least look into getting a DirecTivo. It's the best thing I have purchased in a long time.

-Robert

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The dual-tuner DirecTV is too cool for school. The cable companies are scrambling to make set-top boxes with the same features as the DirecTivo.

Rain fade has seldom been a problem for me and only for a few minutes during really heavy thunderstorms. They have a bigger oval dish, looks like about 45", that is said to be more immune to rain fade. It costs more. I didn't buy one. If I lived in a very rainey locale, well, I proably would have.

Due to the current lack of quality, video, and the prices, I doubt I'd ever go back to Crumcast Cable. Best wishes!

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jay.

Do not in any way/shape/form ignore the Tivo/PVR sat recievers. They will change the way you watch television. Many of the packages include a PVR and 2 basic recievers for the 1 year commitment.

I'm in California and this weekend was solid rain but there were zero problems with my DishNetwork system.

Sometimes during a storm, trees/bushes can sway in front of the dish and cause problems with the signals - but this is solved with a good install person or a good saw [​IMG]

Yes, Dish charges $5 per month for each additional reciever. I dont know what DirectTV does with multiple recievers.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Umm, no. The difference is that you rent the cable boxes from the cable company. Direct TV charges you extra for the privilege of using equipment you’ve bought and paid for yourself.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    My DirecTV went out this morning for about 10 minutes during an unusually heavy burst of snow. It happens but never lasts long.

7. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Having had Time Warner and Charter service, I can safely say that DirecTv offers better value for quantity, quality and price. As others have said, don't blow off Tivo/PVR. I could no longer live without it. Well, perhaps that's a bit dramatic but, you know what I mean.[​IMG]

8. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I'm confused by that fact as well. I'm in the process of getting DirecTV with tivo installed (was supposed to get it installed today but the installers truck broke down yesterday which screwed up his scheduling), and noticed that as well. I only have 1 tv getting installed so I really didn't inquire about the additional receivers. Could it be that you are renting out the additional receivers? I noticed that it's the same setup fee for 1-3 receivers. Maybe you're only paying for the first one, and are renting the 2nd and 3rd ones. If that's not the case, then I would definitely ask them why you're being charged more.

Overall though, the only reason to keep Cable in the Philadelphia area is if you're a big sports fan. The Comcast sports channel owns the rights to the majority of the Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies games, and the games are blacked out on satellite. Plus right now I think Comcast has better HD options in this area (I'm not real sure about that though since I don't have HD). Other then that though, there is no reason to keep cable in Philly. But that is a big reason to keep cable. I'd check that out if you're a sports fan of a local team.

9. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    No. I paid about $50 for my first receiver and $450 for my second. I will be paying about $900 for my next receiver.

The mirror fee always brings up heated discussion. You are paying full programming price for the first receiver and a $5 fee per receiver after that. My comparision to digital cable is not accurate but I'd rather pay the fee than go back to cable.

-Robert