Satellite HD options?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobAbbott, Aug 11, 2002.

1. RobAbbott

RobAbbott Auditioning

I've had a Toshiba HD-ready set for a couple years now and want to now take advantage of HDTV. It looks like Satellite is the best way to go today.

However, the information on HD support for satellite seems to be a bit scattered. Here are questions I have after some basic research (FWIW, I'm interested in DirecTV due to their NHL package):

1. Is there a DirecTV HD decoder that has an antenna input? (I can receive HDTV broadcasts in my area)

2. Does the DirecTV "local channel" package offer/support local HD broadcasts?

3. Is there any sort of satellite HD decoder that also has TiVo built-in? If not, what are options for both HD and TiVo?

Thanks for any information/suggestions/experiences you folks can provide. A friend pointed me here, this is my first post and it looks like a great source of information!

2. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

1. Most of the Directv HD receivers will also handle OTA HD as well.

2. No

3. No. I use a DirecTv with Tivo unit in combination with a Hughes E86 HD Directv receiver, and just switch inputs on my RPTV.

The current line-up of HD channels available on DirecTv are: HBO-HD, ShowtimeHD and HDNet.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    3. Since you are going with DirecTV anyway, get a DirecTivo. Dual tuner and it records the digital bit stream from the dish. You get an exact copy of the program including Dolby Digital (when available).

-Robert

4. RobAbbott

RobAbbott Auditioning

Okay - thanks for the info. This does raise another question...Assuming I have two receivers for DirecTV in the main room (one TiVo, one HD), both with optical output for dolby digital,

My receiver only has two optical inputs, and one is eaten by the DVD player. Are there y-adapters or switches available for optical cable?

5. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Yes, there are optical to coaxial converters. Audio Authority makes one that I know of, but there are others as well. Just do a search for "optical to coaxial" on Yahoo.