satellite feeds give better picture quality than dig cable?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Grace, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Grace

Grace Stunt Coordinator

on a plasma tv, is it true that satellite feeds give better picture quality than comcrap digital cable for nonHD channels?

a samsung tech told me to switch to dish network

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Grace, I don't know anything about plasma TV's, but I have SD and HD with Dish Network and I love it. You couldn't pay me enough to go with cable, digital or not. What they don't tell you is that only some of the channels are digital.

3. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

There is some truth in what the tech said.
    Dish and Comcast both get their signal from a sat, but Comcast retransmits that signal through the cable, and from what I've seen, the PQ is degraded even more on my plasmas.
    Now, that's not to say that all the channels on Dish will be great.
    Depending on how much the signal is compressed, your sat PQ will vary. Hence, if that compressed signal is transmitted over cable, it usually lookes worse.
    That's been my experience.
    Vb

4. Grace

Grace Stunt Coordinator

would dig cable picture (nonHD channels) look better on LCD/DLP projection vs plasma?

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

My understanding is usually a digital source can look better on a digital based picture. When I had Dish Network, they claim that the picture and sound is all digital(eventhough it's processed through analog then sent digitally), but my guess is that satellite would look better on a DLP/LCD picture.

6. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Satellite SD always looks better on all types of TVs then any digital or analog cable I've seen. I've also noticed that cable (analog) always looks better with a direct connection to the TV (no cable STB) so I have to assume that the STBs cable cos are using must be terrible. PQ is one of the two main reasons I switched to D* about 7 years ago, the other reason was the constant outages from my cable co. I've had 4 or 5 different cable providers in different locations and they all were horrible.

7. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

I would agree with Jerome on this one, but there is room for latitude.
    I agree with the idea that, although "dgital" is the better format, that may depend om your particular system.
    I would try to do an A/B to see which you prefer.
    Vb

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have both and the Dish network feed looks much better for standard CATV channels on my DLP television.

In some cases, the "Digital Cable" is only digital for the trip through the aging coax. I had a CATV tech confess that snow/noise on some channels in my other house was because the CATV company put up an antenna to get the signal, which was digitized for the local system. (this causes a generational loss).

My understanding is that Dish provides the signal provider with the equipment to digitze the signal at the brodcast source. It stays digital (with some conversion) all the way to your living room. It's almost like putting your television in the studio.

Grace: If you go with Dish, you MUST get one of the PVR units (Personal Video Recorders). It will change the way you watch television.

My family would not let me get a HDTV box until the local CATV company offered a PVR type setup. It is just so ... free to be able to pause live broadcasts or simply setup you r favorite shows to record. We hardly ever schedule any time to sit down and watch TV - our favorite shows just sit and wait for us.

Highly recommended.

Note: While I have Dish, lots of people love their Tivo units. And DirectTV offers a "DirectTivo" that gives you all the features of the PVR from Dish (perhaps even a bit more). So dont feel like you must only get Dish. Both DirectTV and Dish offer compariable systems and services.