Satelite HD w/out HD set top box?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tom Marynik, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Tom Marynik

Tom Marynik Auditioning

Has anyone ever heard of geting an HD satelite signal via the normal set top box? not one of the $500-$600 HD boxes?

My problem is When I bought my TV (misubishi WS-55859) it has a built in HD Tuner. And because I paid the extra money to have it integrated into the system I dont want to spend the money to buy the satelite providers decoder also.

My theory is If I were to get a set top satelite reciver with the 3 LNB dish hooked up to it can I run the dish to the box and the box into my TV's decoder to watch HD? I'm not shure if this would work but any help would be apreciated. Or if any one else has come to this road block and found a diffrent way around it please let me know.

Thanks,
    Tom

P.S. due to my lovely location I cannot get OFF AIR signals nor does my cable provider offer HD.

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Nope no way to get it to work with your tv's OTA decoder unfortunately you've gotta pay the 600 bux or so for the STB, or get HD Cable if available in your area and pay nothing for equipment.

But unfortunately without an HD Satellite STB theres no way to get the signal to the set. Its not that your TV has a decoder built in but simply has an Over the Air HD Tuner built in. so that you can hook up an antenna and pick up Locally broadcast HD signals but other than that its useless unfortunately.

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I'm quite certain you can't do this Tom. They sell OTA-only HD boxes & OTA/DirecTV HD boxes separately. If what you suggest could be done, then someone could just buy an OTA-only HD box & feed their regular DirecTV box signal into it to get DirecTV HD. DirecTV will definitely want to control how its signals are decrypted inside their HD boxes before the signal is sent to your TV, mainly to prevent exactly what you're suggesting & to enforce copy-protection.

4. Tom Marynik

Tom Marynik Auditioning

Thanks, I figured it was to good to be true!

Tom

5. videobruce

videobruce Stunt Coordinator

The built in tuner is a 8VSB (for OTA broadcast) tuner and I assume with QAM (in the clear cable) also.

Satelite is something totally different.