SATA Raid 0 Setup problems

Discussion in 'Computers' started by KyleS, Dec 21, 2003.

1. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Well I received all my parts including my processor yesterday for my new machine and I am having a problem getting the OS installed using a Raid 0 or 1 array. I have 2 160gb Western Digital SATA hard drives and the motherboard (Shuttle XPC SB75G2) has Serial ATA raid built on board.

Once I turn on Raid within the BIOS the machine will startup and I have the option of pressing CTRL + I to create a Raid array. I create the array (either 1 or 0) and the array says that it is bootable. But when Windows XP Pro finishes loading the drivers it says that no hard drives were found. (Assuming it is looking for the IDE HD's which dont exist) but do I also have to load extra drivers by pressing F6 at the start of the XP installation?

If so it is looking for the A: drive which doesnt exist since I am not installing one. I cant change the location to look for the Raid installation files either its either A or nothing. What are my options guys?

KyleS

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Yes, at the start of loading XP, press F6 and pop in the floppy disk with the drivers for the RAID hardware on your motherboard.

You'll need to rig up a floppy drive for the PC to read the files needed for the RAID drivers.

3. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

Yeah without the floppy drive its kind of a pain.

You CAN make it work, but you need to re-master a XP install CD with the files already on the CD and a change to some of the install files on the CD.

There are a ton of directions on the net for this but it requires some work, a 10 dollar floppy drive is a faster and easier solution.

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Well what I did was rig a little bit of a floppy up from my old computer. I unhooked the floppy from my old tower and ran it to the XPC box. Setup the XPC box to use a floppy in the BIOS then I plugged an extra power cord into the old machine and booted them both up. Ran the rest of the install and pressed F6, now everything is up and running as I am on the new machine typing this.

KyleS

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Hooray!