SATA and SATAII

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jassen M. West, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Can anyone tell me if a SATA II drive will work on a motherboard that has SATA. Whats the difference? I'm looking at the ABIT AX8 board and it seems like I can get a SATA II drive cheaper than a SATA drive.
    thanks

edit I just notice the SATA II drive interface is SATA 150. I would still like to know the difference if anyone knows.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

The biggest difference (that I know of) is native command queuing (ncq). This is to harddrives what hyperthreading is to CPU's. It allows the HD to process multiple commands at one time. In theory it should drastically increase the performance of a HD. In practice? I don't know for sure (I haven't seen any hard numbers). I have a pair of Seagate SATA II HD's in my my new computer and it flies. Don't know how much I can attribute that to the HD's, but I'm sure they help. Bottom-line: if they're the same price or cheaper then definitely go for it.

3. Jassen M. West

Thanks Seth, the whole system should look like this:

Athlon 64 3200+
    1GB Corsair PC-3200
    Seagate 160 GB sataII
    ATI X700PRO 256MB PCI express
    Abit AX8
    Thermaltake 480w power supply
    Lite on DVD burner

Custom case - should look like a Gamecube when done, complete with handle for easy transport to LAN's.

thoughts?

thanks

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

That's going to be a pretty sweet system. The only performance upgrade I could really see would be to buy two of those HD's and stripe them since you motherboard has built-in RAID support for RAID 0 and 1.

Anyway, have fun building your new system. It should be a heck of a machine!

5. Jassen M. West

If the budget allows I would go with the dual drives. Speaking of budget, I know having a good power supply makes all the difference and just wanted to know opinions on Rosewill units.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...182-008&DEPA=0

Its 450W and only $25.00, I know the whole if its too good to be true line and won't order it unless someone can vouch for its performance.

Thanks again,

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

lol
    For $29.99??? Those are some high numbers but for that price? Highly unlikely. [​IMG]

You get what you pay for with PSUs. Don't skimp on this component. Check out this link. Fortron scores high and I personally like to go with them. Here's the one I have powering an overclocked P4, overclocked 6800GT, and 3 harddrives.

7. Jassen M. West

There's a change, the AMD64 board with PCI express isn't going to be out soon enough and the Asus SLI board costs way too much. The email I got said they had 5 in stock at $388 a piece. So here is what the new system should look like, the only changes are to the MB and video card.

Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 90nm
    1GB Corsair PC-3200
    Seagate 160 GB sataII
    [​IMG] Nvidia 6600GT 128MB
    [​IMG] MSI K8N Neo2 NF3 ultra
    Thermaltake 480w power supply
    Liteon DVD burner

thoughts?
    thanks

8. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Jassen:

Is the MSI K8N Neo2 NF3 ultra in your revised specs the K8N Neo2 Platinum? It's a very impressive board (MSI user here [​IMG] ), even with the AGP 8X bus. Which card manufacturer will you be going with for the 6600GT 128MB?

9. Jassen M. West

I'm not sure which manufacturer to go with, suggestions on that would be welcome also.
    thanks,
    jay

10. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

11. Jassen M. West

Ken, thanks for the board suggestions but I think I'm set with the MSI board, the 4 on board usb's and dual gigabit will help me keep the size of my case design as small as possible. What I was asking for was which manufacturer of video card I should go with. It will be a 6600 GT but MSI , Leadtek, EVGA, Gigabyte, I'm not sure which one to choose. I have read that the Leadtek card is the best but I like reading about personal opinions.

thanks

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The MSI board has some major issues to be aware of. If you read alot of the posts on the hardocp forum aka hardforum.com then you will see this.

After reading about so many problems with the NForce 3 chipset, I went with an Asus A8V deluxe. My friend is running one very stable. I will get mine up and running tonight with a 3500+. The main issues I've seen with the Nforce 3 are the sata issues and ram issues. Corsair ram seems also to be an issue. I'd consider going with Kingston or Mushkin.

As far as the 6600 goes, Leadtek is considered one of the best. I'd buy a BFG If you can. The 6800GT is amazing. Lifetime warranty too [​IMG]

DVD burner: if you are buying one the NEC is faster by a long shot. It's the 3500A which runs around $65.

Power Supply wise: I would not get the Rosewill. If you look on the hardforum forums you will see what power supplys seem to be recommended. Thermaltake, Antec, and especially the Fortron seem to be highly recommended. I went with a Athena Power which is a server level one and quite good supposedly.

Here is what machine I'm building tonight(at work now..)

Asus A8V Deluxe
    3500+ AMD 64 90NS Winchester(much faster than the Newcastle)
    NEC 3500 DVD Dual Layer Burner
    1 gig Mushkin PC3200 Level 1 Dual Channel
    256 MB 8x AGP BFG 6800 GTOC
    Seagate 120 gig Sata hdd.
    Athena Power 550W PSU
    Antec Case
    Zalman 7000 Copper CPU Cooler

13. Jassen M. West

BFG ?