Sat-Sub vs 5" Bookshelves with no sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Derek H, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Derek H

Derek H Agent

I live in an apartment so I dont want to piss off the neighbors. I've listened to the Paradigm Cinema series and Mirage avs600 (both are sub-sat set ups).

I know the Sub is quite important to fill in the mid-range for Sat-sub setups, but will a sub turned down in volume (to please the neighbors) ruin the mid-range? If thats the case will bookshelves without a sub be a better option?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Derek, I think a sub in any apartment will be a problem.

3. Derek H

Derek H Agent

anyone else have any input?

4. BillyHC

BillyHC Agent

if you dial the sub in so that it's at the same level as your sats, you can keep the general volume low without muddying up the mid-bass or losing mid-bass.

just because you have a sub doesn't mean you have to play it as loud as it can go... everything can still be heard in moderation.

On the flip side, i'm in an apt and I have athena AS-F2's for my mains and those suckers put out enough bass where I don't need a sub yet. (I will in a few months when I move up)
    So, if you plan on staying in an apt, and will be playing at a limited volume, you might be better off skipping the sub and grabbing two near full range fronts and sat surrounds.

5. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

If you are a temporary apartment dweller I would just go with some bookshelfs with extension down to ~30-40Hz and upgrade to a sub when you don't have to worry about neighbors.

If you are a permanent apartment dweller I would get a smaller sub and try to figure out what your neighbors limits are (without being too annoying).

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Bookshelf speakers with response to the 30s are almost non-existent and the ones that do aren't usually inexpensive. Even 40s is rare for a booshelf. Most good bookshelf speakers that I've heard are in the mid to low 50s -3dB. That's still decent bass, but probably not as deep as a quality sub/sat will get. What you WILL get with a good booshelf though, is much better midrange.

Your room size will be a factor too. If you have a big room, sats will have a much harder time filling it.

What's the price range?

I use Mordaunt Short 902s in my bedroom with no sub, and they are -3dB at 55Hz.

7. Derek H

Derek H Agent

600 is about my price range. I do have hook ups (employee discounts, but not mine). The Sub-Sat that I like are the Paradigm Cinema series $550 cdn.