What's new

Sat Picture issues (1 Viewer)

Kevin T.

Grip
IM noticing on some of my sat stations the picture is awefully pixelated, usually on most of the major stations, nbc, cbs, abc. Is this a common problem with the dish not getting a strong enough signal?, right now i think my signals are at 84 for sat 110, and 78 on sat 119. Not sure if this is normal or just me, getting used to my bigger TV

Thanks

Kevin

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is this a common problem with the dish not getting a strong enough signal?
With digital satellites, signal strength does nothing for picture quality. You either get a picture or you don't. A higher signal strength just helps combat rain fade.

Since you are receiving signals from 110 and 119, you are a Dish customer. On Jan. 1, to comply with the "must carry" law, Dish added around 300 local channels while not increasing bandwidth. To handle these channels, they really cranked up the compression. Lately, they have been tweaking the compression but from what I've been reading, they aren't even close to being back to "normal". On the other side, DirecTV complied with the same law by launching a spot-beam satellite to handle all of their local channels. (Dish's spot-beam sat should be launched soon)

Also, with a bigger TV you will see compression artifacts. Calibrate the TV with Avia or VE so the artificial contrast is turned way down. Other than that just get used to it.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks