What's new

Sartre was right.. Hell IS other people.. (1 Viewer)

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Sartre was right.. Hell IS other people..

It's so cliche..

The moron who thinks if he unwraps his candy SLOWLY, it'll be less annoying.

But every movie I go to..

Would it be so time-consuming to take the crap out of the wrappers and put them in something like a pop-corn bucket, or a napkin, or something BEFORE the movie starts?

Am I the only one who can't STAND the movie theaters anymore??

First, I'm bombarded by TV ads that I went to the movie theater to get AWAY from.. If I wanted commercials I could have waited for it to come out on cable!!

Then, you've got the babbling going on during the previews.. I don't bother doing more than boring a hole through the back of their heads with my "eyes of murderous rage".. Cause you know they're just gonna look back at you, curl their upper lip and shake their heads, give you their "it's not like the movie's started!" vibe.. And continue to talk..

God help me if anyone kicks my seat or starts any of that crap.. I've been lucky, so far.. No cliche seat-kickers for me, thankyou..

I shouldn't talk I guess.. I'm 6'3", and refuse to scrunch down for "vertically-challenged" folks who choose to sit behind me.. :)

I at least don't sit in front of people who are obviously going to have a problem with my melon when I sit there.. But I always get there at least 10 min. before the start of the show, so it rarely happens..

Which brings up those non-appologetic late-comer cliches.. "look honey, we're fashionably late for the movies! Ah-hahahahahhaaaaa...". :angry:

What's with the guys who clap at the end of the show? Are they hoping the director's there with amongst them,incognito, of coarse, wanting to gauge the audience's reaction?

Anyhoo.. Thanks for letting me vent..

Any other rage-aholic theater-avoiders out there? Any cliches that don't know they're cliches that I missed?

Seems people are catching on with cell phones.. In my neck of the woods, anyways. Which is progress, I guess..

Haven't had anyone talk during the movie, either.. You know, the guy who's seen the movie and tells his buddy what's gonna happen next..

I did hear a disturbing account of someone on his cell-phone giving a blow-by-blow account of what was going on during the show..

Man, how did he make it home from the theater un-molested?? Maybe he didn't.. God, I hope not..

I'd better stop now.. :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

stop going out.
invest in a front projector.
get a netflix account.

seriously.
i make maybe 3 or 4 trips to the movies per year now, and there is just enough time in between visits that i forget just how much it sucks being trapped with a bunch of people who haven't been raised properly.

Lyle H.

Stunt Coordinator
What's wrong with clapping at the end of a film? Usually, if it's a large crowd, and the film is good enough, I will clap.

The HT does not substitute the movies. As hard as you guys try, it will never replicate the experience. You are all missing out on some great films this year, which WON'T be the same on DVD: Kill Bill: Vol. 2, Baadasssss!, Ray, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Shaun of the Dead, Fahrenheit 9/11, Collateral, Hero. Of course, I expect this post to be deleted because I am not pro-HT and anti-theatre, but whatever. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
Seeing a film in a quality theater is by far the best way to see a movie. If you're concerened with all the distractions just hold off on going opening weekend and try to catch a matinee during the week. I've been to shows with 2 or 3 other people in attendence. Sure it's nice to watch a DVD at home but home comes with it's distractions as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No, this topic comes up about once a month. Do a search and you'll find grumbling and complaining to your heart's content.

Perhaps there should be a "***Official I HATE MOVIE THEATERS Discussion Thread" where everyone can complain.

As for me, good movies are the rule, with only the infrequent talker or seat-thumper.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I almost always go on saturday mornings, first showing which is usually between 11-12.

Its alot less crowded.

I only to go films on friday nights for films I absolutely cant wait a day to see, and thats usually with my G/F and her son. If its something Im gonna see by myself I always go on saturday morning.

I never go to a saturday night film.I think the last one was Shrek when some friends decided to see it and made me go after we were out on the town earlier.I cant even remember the one before that.

But I must be one of the lucky ones. Theres a Hoyts near me thats fantastic. The sound is amazing,and conditions are alot better than the Loews at the Gallerias nearby,and its much less crowded except for the big blockbusters (Star Wars, Spideys,etc).

I dont really see the point of complaining about it. Its no different than being anywhere else in public when your dealing with people. Yesterday I stood in line at CVS for about 15 minutes with just a bottle of shampoo while some woman held up the line with $50 worth of crap she was paying for by check (which she didnt write out until she was told the total) and made everyone wait so they could settle a price dispute to which she saved - a whole dollar.

Unfortunatly whenever youre in public youre going to have to deal with stupid people.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I think going to the movie theater can be a good and rewarding experience with a little coordination, planning, timing, and luck. You have to see the right kind of movie at the right place and at the right time, which ends up getting you the right audience to make it a good experience.

The easiest films with which to do this are fanboy event films. One prime examples is the LOTR trilogy Sunday (or whatever day of the week it was), which, while exhausting, was handled perfectly by the theater management, and the crowd was obviously into it, which really upped the excitement level, particularly when ROTK started, at which point people were getting tired anyway, so it helped barrel us all through it.

My other prime example was going to see X2 on opening day. It wasn't a midnight showing or anything, but it was an evening showing on opening day (or the first Friday, I'm not sure when the film opened). Packed house at one of the better theaters, plenty of energy and fans there, but not uber-geek fanboys. It's always nice to have some uber-geeks and some more "grounded" fans in stuff like this. The audience was energetic again and reacted to the film at all the right times, cheering when Nightcrawler rescued Rogue, etc.

So I think if you want a good "audience connection" you're best chances are to try and see the film when all the real fans are seeing it, which is obviously easier to time with film adaptions based off of other source material. However, timing it with smaller films, dramas, or just theater-filler is harder and you're more prone to get bad audiences, or if you wait too long on the bigger fanboy-attracting films you get messed up prints and people that may not care as much to actually see the film anyway.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Another way to avoid most of the heathen public is to attend matinee showings on weekdays during the school year. Most people are at work, the kids are in school, and theater attendance is usually light even for first-run films.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea Ive taken 1/2 days or left work a couple hours early for must sees as well:D

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I'd have done precisely the same thing. I'm glad to hear that you are so well off that you can simply throw money away, but if I was overcharged a dollar, you can be sure that I'd make sure the error was corrected. I don't think it's "stupid" to value money. You are blaming an innocent woman for the store's mistake.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

My time and stress level is much more valuable than arguing for 15 minutes to save a dollar. Even minimum wage pays more than $4 an hour and I make well more than that. I just cannot see getting worked up over a mistake that will cost me 1/10th of what my work time is worth, never mind my leisure time, which I value much more. I have worked retail before (9 years through High School and college) and I assure you the majority of people that argue about prices do it not for the savings, but just to argue and to prove themselves "right" or "superior". The most popular thing you hear from their mouths after the 15th time they ask you to check that a price is a few pennies less than marked is "it's not the money, it's the principle". That's correct, except the "principle" they adhere to is to be the center of attention, take up other people's valuable time and bend poor working slobs to their will, IMHO. How else can you explain the smug satisfaction on their face after they've made enough of a scene so as to attract the attention of everyone around them, all for a few pennies?

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Do you know why people abuse waitresses (clerks, cashiers, tellers, etc.)? It's because they can . . .

Edit - Just to prove my point, many is the time I have witnessed an argument about price and I have taken the disputed amount out of my pocket, slapped it down on the counter and said "There is the difference, now would you please stop arguing so I can get waited on?" Not once has the person accepted the money: that would have taken away all the fun they were having by forcing me to wait in line and listen to their tirade.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Doug, I'm afraid I can only slightly agree with you (which I think is how Holadem, Lyle and DaveF feel too).

I NOTICE people eating and such during a film but then to me that is part of being at the theater. I suppose it depends on how they go about it, but if someone is TRYING to be quiet in how they open a wrapper then I consider them at least aware and thoughtful enough to give a shit.

I have even recently been a latecomer at the HTF national meet when we missed the theater by a block and ended up being late, so not everyone is being fashionable or uncaring, though I agree some are.

Commercials - well, I have timed it out and now realize that it is pointless for me to be at the theater before 2-3 minutes after the start time. If it is going to be pretty full then it can't be helped but otherwise I just include the commercial time into the start time for the real start time now.

Talking during trailers - I don't know about you but I go often enough that I have seen most of them 10 times, half of them are films I don't want to see anyway, 3/4 of them are poor trailers that give away plots, and I like to discuss what I think about the possibility of a film if its one I haven't seen.

TRAILERS ARE STILL COMMERCIALS. On one hand you hate them, then on the other you want people to hush. This reminds me of my wife who likes me to hush so she can hear a "good" commercial. For me its just another sales pitch and not part of the actual movie. I like them, but I don't demand full attention from the audience, and rarely give it myself. I would expect MORE talking from movie regulars than the "never get out" types who are seeing the trailer for TAXI for the first time.

Clapping - I generally don't do it, but I love when audiences respond to a film. It is part of the INTERACTION with OTHER PEOPLE. To me it sounds like this is most of your issue, yet this is exactly the point of going to the theater. Why slag on these people? Do you tell them not to laugh at the funny parts since the actors can't hear that either? "Stop screaming, the monster's not really here in the theater." Wow, what a bundle of movie fun.

If you want to complain about audiences who DON'T CARE about the film, who don't pay attention to it, who don't react to it, like cell phone users or kids just there to hang out and goof around, then I'm receptive.

But give me the popcorn munching, hooting, laughing, cheering crowds every time I see a film. I find it much more enjoyable than sitting home alone watching a film on the HT, no matter how good it looks and sounds.

That film we were late for - Shaun of the Dead at the Arclight, with pretty good reserved seats. It was sold out and the crowd was great. We snuck in as quietly as we could and I was glad that no one ruined the film for all of us by telling us off instead of letting us try to join the entertainment as best we could. The rest of the show was wonderful with a big crowd all together in tune with the film.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I kind of enjoy when people get into a movie and respond to it. For a really bad movie it can give you the only redeeming moment ;) and for a good movie it is nice to see people responding. Some of the memorable moments that stand out for me:

The Bad movies:

Sorceress - I hate to admit I have even seen this dog of a movie, but one of the funniest parts was when someone reacted to the screen. These twins who had been raised by wolves or something (don't ask) encounter people and while one is prancing topless she asks "You mean we're girls", to which someone in the front row replied "No Sh*t". The whole theater burst into laughter.

Wrong is Right - another uber dog of a movie that could be used as a sleep aid. At the end of this slogfest just before the credits started rolling we could hear a woman in the next aisle trying to wake her husband. Another guy woke up and kicked over his popcorn, exclaiming a colorful metaphore. Pretty funny.

The Good movies:

Good Will Hunting - when Minnie Driver asks Matt Damon to say he doesn't love her (and he responded) every woman in the whole theater made a collective sigh. Funny for us but a sign of how intently the audience was following the movie.

The Phantom Menace - although you can dispute the merits of the movie, it was great to stand in line with people in costumes and hear the audience burst into applause as the Star Wars theme kicks off the new movie.

The Fellowship of the Ring - again, great to stand in line with costumed folks and the audience clapped at the start and end.

Inconsiderate people are an unfortunate side effect of movies but picking your times or movies carefully can help. I still love the big event movies when I get the chance to see them with the big crowds.

Kenneth

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I don't know, maybe it's an age thing...I agree that when the energy level of the film is high, It's fun to have an audience react...
However, I also agree with Doug. I took the family to THE INCREDIBLES, last weekend, like every other father on the planet...There was a woman in front of us that had a whole pile o' brats that were yapping it up before the movie started...I was a little annoyed at this, but didn't get too bent outta shape, as it was "prior" to.
I was surprised at myself at how pissed I was that she was Text messaging someone for about 20 minutes before the show, and for about 10 minutes into the beginning. (I mean, it really wasn't hurting anything, and not making any noise, but distracting to see her little blue screen in the row in front of me.) Who do these people think they are?!!!! They are asked to turn off their phones BEFORE they get into the seating area...
The kicker, though, was the fact that they were saving approx 4-5 seats for someone to come along later!!!!!!!!! on an openig, PACKED weekend!!!! And when the parties showed up...LATE... The first party had the balls to make INTRODUCTIONS to all of the rugrats and pre-teens that she brought along in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!

EXCUSE ME???

It just seemed to be a trend with these people, and really yanked my chain!!!:angry: :angry:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
If you have the right setup then a Home Theater is just as good, if not better than a regular theater. If "experience" means people talking, candy, kicking the seat, a crying baby or whatever then yes, there's no way a Home Theater can match that. :)

I personally can't stand going to the theater anymore and I've only seen one there this year. I plan on watching THE AVIATOR but that will be it. Every movie in my collection is just as good so I don't need the crowds. If it bothers people then they should just stay at home where it's cheaper anyways.

I don't think you should fear the mods deleting your posts here.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I only go to the theatre a handful of times myself for these reasons above. Thats why I do Netflix.

But Im probably the only one who was urinated on by the dude sitting next to him. *Not a joke*

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Moderators: Since this topic comes up so frequently, may I make a request? How about an official thread for movie theater bitching and moaning (or a more PC title as you feel it is appropriate) :) and make it a STICKY thread that anyone can vent in (within the rules of the forum). That might work.

-Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks