What's new

Sarah Hughes! (1 Viewer)

Amy Cheung

Auditioning
Patriotism indeed!

Of course the Russians would protest. Irena Slutskaya deserved the gold, not 'all-american' Sarah Hughes. Sarah may have deserved the first place in the long program competition, but she didn't deserve the gold medal.

Have any of you guys here watched the short program? Irena Slutskaya gave the best performance, still she was placed 2nd. Had she stood first in short program, the gold medal

would have been hers. But we could not let that happen, right? The Canadian and American judges always gave out low presentation scores to her. Oh, the Olympic judges, remember Harry's dream in When Harry Met Sally?

And Sarah Hughes, she didn't even deserve the 4th place in short program. Watch the match, that 29 year old Russian did

better than her, only to get lower scores.

Irena Slutskaya, beat by Michelle Kwan in short program, beat by Sarah Hughes in long program, both times unfairly. If those Canadian losers could demand their gold back, she has every right to demand the gold medal that is rightfully hers.

David Oliver

Second Unit
She may have beaten Kwan in the Short program (I did not see it). But there is absolutely no way she beat Hughes in the long program.

Amy Cheung

Auditioning
If Irena Slutskaya had been placed 1st in shot program, she wouldn't have to beat Sarah Hughes in long program. The 2nd place would have secured the gold for her.

Talking about Irena's long program performance, the Canadian and American Judges both gave out 5.7 presentation scores to her. How unanimous!

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Somebody call Oliver Stone right away, there is a conspiracy to keep the poor oppressed Russians from winning a gold medal. :)
Seriously, S. Hughes' long program was absolutely perfect; I would have given it 6s. The other ladies' programs all had obvious flaws.
Maybe they should not post ANY scores until all the performers have skated. That way you won't have the "early skater scoring penalty".

Scott_G

Second Unit
Talking about Irena's long program performance, the Canadian and American Judges both gave out 5.7 presentation scores to her. How unanimous!

How about the Russia and other judges - who game thier skaters 5.9s.

I didn't think there was much difference in the short program between the top 5 or so skaters.

brianacook

Stunt Coordinator
amy,

did you notice the look on irina's face when she completed her program? she knew she didn't deserve the gold and she was right.

if the canadian pair hadn't been robbed of a gold medal by a corrupt judge, the russians would not be protesting this decision. it is beyong my comprehension how a country that specifically told a judge to sway her vote in their favor can now come bak and claim biased judging.

i feel so bad for sarah that her obvious win is now being tainted.

brian

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
if the canadian pair hadn't been robbed of a gold medal by a corrupt judge, the russians would not be protesting this decision. it is beyong my comprehension how a country that specifically told a judge to sway her vote in their favor can now come bak and claim biased judging.
We have to be kind of cautious with this one. The way I have heard the coersion described is that the French judge's Skating Federation were the ones presuring her because they had cut a deal with the Russian Federation. It hasn't been described as a judge-to-judge activity yet (like in Nagano). Personnally, I also think that Hughes deserved the gold and I think that the correct decision was rendered in the woman's skating.

Kenneth

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
disclaimer: I did not see the long program as most of the favorites came on after I went to sleep (10:30pm) last night here at EST but from what I heard, Hughes had a perfect long program with no major goofs while Irena had a slight minor goof on a triple jump. I just read that russia filed a protest saying that Irena should get a gold medal because of the bias which is odd cause it seems most people here says that Hughes won the long program.

If Russia feels the same way that Amy feels and that Irena won the short program, they should of filed their complaint after the short program, not wait til the long program is over and then file it. It's as if Russia is saying "Oh, we feel slighted since the end result is not as we wanted so we'll protest". Unless Russia thinks Irena won the long program, which is another story and according to all I've read, isn't true. Even you, Amy, has said that perhaps Hughes did deserve the win in the long program. If so, then by the figure skating scoring system, Hughes won the whole event. I feel that if Irena should of won the short program, then the Russians should of complained then and not now. Kind of like instant replay in the NFL, once you start another play, you can't go back and review the previous play.

Jay

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Irena's goof wasn't minor. Her hand touched the ice for balancing when she came out of a triple something or other. That's almost as bad as falling down, but not quite. Certainly enough to bust her down to silver.

Amy Cheung

Auditioning
Scott_G, I'm just curious why the Canadian and American judges always gave out the same low scores to Irena. They're twins?

Julian, of course there is a conspiracy against Russian figure skating. Why did Americans undergo so much trouble to help those Canadian losers to grab their gold? In world championship of 1999, two Russian judges were convicted of plotting against that Chinese pair (who won bronze in this Olympic Games) and were punished with two-year suspension, still that Chinese pair wasn't given back the gold medal that was rightful theirs. The decisions of the judges on the court are supposed to be final, but when it comes to Canadians, wow, they were robbed! They should have their gold back and they did have their gold back, and the justice was done! Honestly I feel sick.

brianacook, the Canadians had not been robbed of anything. It was a close call. Compared with the situation of 1999 world championship where the Russian pair committed several major mistakes but still won the gold, the Canadians just performed as well as the Russians. And did you see Irena crying after the scores were given? She cried because she knew she didn't deserve the gold? Yeah, you wish. She cried because she was robbed!

It is beyond my comprehension too, that a country that had an Australian judge rob a gold of a Korean speed skater to give to their own player in exchange of letting Australia keep its first Winter Olympic gold is so keen of playing the Goddess of Justice.

Honestly, this Olympics is one of the dirtiest and ugliest I have ever seen.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sarah nailed all 7 of her allowed triples, while Irina two-footed one triple and did not look all that graceful on her triple flip (the one that did in Michelle).

But to me, Sasha Cohen is the one to watch in the future, that girl has some of the most amazing graceful moves on the ice. She's not awkward, probably has the perfect body type, it was like watching a ballet dancer on blades when she was skating.

If Sasha had nailed the triple-triple early in her program, she would have knocked Michelle off the podium, but Sasha was inexperienced and went for too much on her missed triple-triple combo. Michelle has the same chance to go for a triple-triple, but knew that she didn't have enough speed, and went for a safer triple-double, and that was the difference in her at least coming away with a medal at the Winter Olympics.

If Irina had fallen on her triple flip, Michelle would have won the gold. That's how close this competition was this time around. Simply amazing drama on ice.

Amy Cheung

Auditioning
Michael, did I say something wrong? Sorry I don't have your sense of humor.

I just want to add, that all my posts here, of course, are just my humble opinions.

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
I just want to add, that all my posts here, of course, are just my humble opinions.
Not just yours, but all of our posts are opinions. Like it or not, that's the nature of figure skating. We can argue all the little nuances of each lady's performance and who should have won, but never convince each other. Ultimately it was the judges' decision. I believe they were trying to be as objective as possible with all the pressure, but regardless some subjective opinion is going to come in. With all the controversy of these games, at least it is causing the ISU to look at how the judging works and hopefully make some changes that will help.

Regarding pairs, I personally would have accepted the decision of the gold going to the Russian team if it had not been for the proven corruption of the French judge. But it was proven, so they made a decision to share the gold. No matter what they did, people would have been upset. Unless they prove similar corruption in the ladies program, I accept and support their decision to award Sarah Hughes the gold.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Michael, did I say something wrong? Sorry I don't have your sense of humor.
Amy, coming into a discussion (celebrating Sarah Hughes) to cut down what were OBVIOUS Gold medals (U.S. & Canadian incl.) is your right.
This...:rolleyes:, is mine.
My opinion is that you must have been watching a different Olympics, I'm sure you feel the same way about the rest of the world.
Have fun!:D

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I personally would have accepted the decision of the gold going to the Russian team if it had not been for the proven corruption of the French judge.
And if they had followed the rules.., the French judge's vote would have been discarded and the "alternate judge's vote" would have been used instead. Guess who the alternate judge voted for... you got it! So.., Canada "really" shouldn't be sharing it with anyone.
If you follow the rules... ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's not get carried away here on how we present our stated opinions. Some of you have been previously warned about your posting style.
Robert Crawford
HTF Administrator

Amy Cheung

Auditioning
Micheal, didn't notice that you're from Canada. I apologize if there are contents in my posts regarding Canadians that may have offended you.

Adminstrator, I take the liberty of assuming that in your warning you're referring to me. I always get carried away in discussions. I apologize and I'll restrain myself.

Russians have filed their complaint. I just wanna ask the same question, since it all comes down to the decisions of the judges that are subjective in nature, since the Canadians could demand back their gold, why not Irena, why not any skaters in the future, or, for that matter, why not the Chinese pair for their gold in 1999 world championship?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks