Sapphire ST1B--Might purchase, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chris-St, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Chris-St

Chris-St Auditioning

I am thinking about replacing my Bose Acoustimass VI surround system with a pair of floor standing Sapphire ST1B speakers. I already have an Athena 8" sub, and would probably buy Sapphire center and surrounds in the future.

Any thoughts on the following:

1. Sapphire speakers in general?

2. Other floor standing speakers for the price ($599)?

3. Replacing a surround system with two speakers (i.e., am I moving backwards or is the speaker-quality upgrade worth it)?

I listen to DVD-Audio/SACD and would like to hear a better, fuller sound (my Bose are definitely lacking). I think I would be happy with 2-channel if the sound is good enough.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

2. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Those Sapphires are Tweeter's house brand. I'd also listen to Athena's AS-F2 for floorstanders in that price range. The Athenas are a Stereophile recommened component and you probably can get a pair and the center channel for your budget.

3. Chris-St

Chris-St Auditioning

Tweeter's house brand, eh? I did not know that. That explains why they pushed them so hard.

However, I already bought the mains and a center. My untuned ears love them--granted, I am comparing them to my wonderfully shitty Bose acustimass system.

On a side note, I live in Chicago and have not found many AV stores other than Best Buy and Circuit City. While Tweeter may still be mass market, I was thoroughly impressed with the knowledge and presentation they put forth. Does anyone think I am off target here, or have others had similarly satisfying experiences at Tweeter?

Thanks again.

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

How about see how the Sapphires compare to the Athenas, rather than making the decision simply based on the assumption that since Tweeter is the only store that carries Sapphire, that Sapphire is merely a poorly-engineered "house brand" product.

5. Robert V

Robert V Stunt Coordinator

Tastes differ, but if you like the Saphires, spend money elswhere. Or, compare the Saphires to other brands at Tweeter. My local Tweet carries Martin Logan's, Sonus Faber, Mirage, Saphire, Polk, Boston, etc. Several good brands (the Martins and Sonus will be wellover $600 though!)

If tweeter is still running a sale, listen to the Mirage OMNI 260 floorstanders. I picked these up for $530, brand new. They image extremely well, are front ported, and easy to drive/efficient. They also excel during two channel playback, very lifelike performace. IMHO.

6. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Why?

7. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I believe sound and vision did a review of Sapphire fairly recently. I can't remember the issue, but I think it was fairly positive. My experience with Tweeter has been mixed. If find that the sales people aren't interested in dealing with me unless I plan on spending a lot of money there. When I bought a TV, Sub, receiver they bent over back wards for me, and when I had a problem with the TV they gave me a loner and eventually replaced it. I was very happy with them on that one. However, I recently went in to look at a PHDP and the sales people were almost rude to me. As far as the speakers go, if you like the way they sound don't worry about what others say since each person's choice in sound is different.

8. Tom Steele

Tom Steele Auditioning

I don't think you are off-target if that is what you experienced, but I've had dis-similar experiences here in Greenville SC.

I went into the store looking for a sub. A young guy asked me what I was looking for. I explained I had previously owned Yamaha YST-800's and loved their sound, but was tired of them dying on me everytime my power went off. I have a huge room, (two-stories, 24x21 and connected to kitchen as well.) and the Yamaha would fill that room very well. I also told him I liked punchy tight bass more than boomy rumble bass.

He re-iterated this back to me and told me he had a couple of subs in mind.

So far, so good.

He took me into a room that was being refurbished and asked the guys doing the work if the room was functional. They said, "Yes."

He left to go get some DVD's and I didn't see him again for 10 minutes. He came back then and told me he had two customers and he was handing me over to "Joe."

Joe was a very nice gentleman in his mid-50's I'd guess. Joe and I weren't on the same wavelength though.

He spent 15 minutes telling me about Martin Logan (the company). Then he played me some 2001 Space Odyssey off CD that was mastered in 1969(?) and wouldn't have sounded good on anything.

He played some Jennifer Wariner as well.

I told him at this point that I was interested in the speaker for about 90% home theater and 10% music. I asked if he had any DVD's to listen to. He opened a CD/DVD case and then got upset and said someone had taken his DVD's. He left and came back with Eagles Hell Freezes Over on DVD.

Personally, I think this is the single best MUSIC DVD out there. But it wasn't what I had in mind. I wanted to hear "Pearl Harbor" or "Star Wars" - something to demo Home Theater.

He put the Eagles DVD in and cranked it up and I immediately heard port noise or something rattling in the speaker.

I politely told him I didn't think this sub was up to the task I had in mind for it and asked him about a Mirage that I had seen in another room. We went in there and he said it wasn't functional right now (Why we couldn't pull the Mirage into the previous room and plug it up is beyond me, but he seemed like he was done with me.)

He asked me to come back when they were done refurbishing the rooms. I didn't bother. They had wasted an hour of my time in a very unprofessional manner.

Obviously, the salesperson can make all the difference, but I was appalled at the experience. I've had better service at CC and BB!