What's new

Sanyo Z3 Color Calibration Settings (1 Viewer)

Jeremy*

Auditioning
Hi I have just set up a Home Theatre Room with the Sanyo Z3. I have every video connection running straight to the projector. My main problem is my dvd player which is running on the component input. I have a lot of blue and purple. I have been messing with the color variations on my own, but am not that big of a color fanatic to go buy a Smart III or tester. Anyone that does have a Z3 what current color calibrations are you using. My room has little to no light and i dont really notice problems with contrast. The color just seems a little off. I am not using any filters.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Depends heavily on the screen the person is using and the DVD player. If you don't have the same ... then it is a waste of time. Easier to try and eyeball your own grayscale than to blindly copy other people's numbers.

YOu don't ask for other people's combination lock numbers do you?

Eyeball the grayscale. Look at a black and white pattern and decide if the image looks that way to you. If it looks red ... then you know what to do ... if it looks blue ... ditto ..

(too red? ... take away red or add blue and green )

Cuts control the dark end and drives control the bright end. ... Aka brightness=cut ... contrast=drive.

Regards

Jeremy*

Auditioning
Ok i did as you suggested and i created some images of a good black and white mix and then red, green, blue, purple. Just to see how off my colors were. Well its weird becuase my S-Video Connection runs the colors fine, on tv i see a clear red, green, ect. When i run the colors through my component input the red is very dull and almost purplish. The green is more of a yellowish too, really no green is evident in the color. What would be the steps to correcting this. I read the marked forum above and did make sure my grey, black, and white were correct. I checked out my dvd player and there is no color settings in its menu. Thanks for the help.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Have you adjusted color saturation and balance in the projector? these should be available if you are hooked up via component video. I usually recommend leaving the player's controls neutral/default unless it is the only option. I do assume you are using proper test patterns as well.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
>>> YOu don't ask for other people's combination lock numbers do you?

Trying out someone else's video settings can be helpful to establish a frame of reference from which I can go further or from which I can go part way.

Now I am not expecting everyone with a 'Z3 (I have one) to come forth onto a forum where lots of people help out lots of other people, offering a set of numbers for free, but there is nothing wrong with soliciting and seeing if someone would volunteer a set.

Do pay attention to whether some of the steps in a gray scale test pattern have a different color tint. I am not sure how to adjust gamma for each of red, green, and blue but you may need to look into this.

One source said that adjusting the iris on the 'Z3 may change the degree to which different steps on the gray scale have different tints, thus your calibration could be a back and forth iterative process between iris, gamma, brightness and contrast.

I would try to adjust the component video settings first. Then with the S-video I would try adjusting tint to see how well I could match things up. If this last step failed it is time to have separate memories for component video and S-video, or use a compromise setting.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

BTW I have not calibrated mine yet.

Jeremy*

Auditioning
Well heres why i am confused. On S-Video it is perfect (to my eye and family/friends eyes) for red and blue and green. Everything i have hooked up svideo is fine...the dvd player in svideo is fine just when the dvd player is component is when it gets messed up.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
S-video goes through all of the circuits component video goes through and more. The S-video only adjustments could have been incorrect and the projector component circuits calibrated at the factory as a work around to the detriment of component video. Instead the adjustments that affect component video should be done first with a component source.

By the way you should not be using a red/white/yellow cable set for component video when calibrating. The red and white cables are meant for audio and when used for Pr and Pb can give unpredictable results depending on exactly what quality they happen to be.

Jeremy*

Auditioning
Ok what audio cables should i be using then....i am just amazed cuz i have changed every setting and am going on two days of tweaking and experimenting and i still cant get a red...i get a purplish brown. And the green gets no better than a messed up yellow. It is just weird for me that it is soo hard to get two simple colors, while on svideo i plug it in and its fine. Could i have either a defective input or my dvd player be messed up. I am running a straight connection to projector, but maybe i could try running through my reciever, if that would help?

John S

Senior HTF Member
You absolutely sure your making connection on every component cable? Most times such gross color problems from component video issues come down to this simplest of issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks