Sanyo Z2 vs Sony HS20

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James Tg, Jun 6, 2004.

1. James Tg

James Tg Stunt Coordinator

I am deciding between Sanyo Z2 and Sony HS20. Is HS20 worth $1000 more than Z2 (street price)? Does anyone compare these two models before? What are the pros and cons on the two models? Thanks.

James

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

3. RandyMathis

RandyMathis Stunt Coordinator

The Sony is said to have a better picture with higher resolution 1366 X 768 vs Sanyos 1280 X 720. The Sony also has 12 bit color vs. the Sanyos 10 bit color. The Sony also has an HDMI port and a DVI port which is slightly more future proof than the Sanyo with just the DVI port. This also saves the need for a DVI switcher.

That said... I bought the Z2 because I didn't think that the $1000 was worth the difference.

The Z2 looks great. And I don't regret my purchase.

If money wasn't an issue I would have bought the Sony.

4. James Tg

I am going to mount the FP 13' away from the screen. I use the calculation from projection central website. Z2 will project 101" to 130", and HS 86" to 103". I am afraid I will see SDE or the screen will not be bright enough with Z2. Is it true?

My HT room has light control. Can somebody give me advice? Thanks.

James

5. RandyMathis

RandyMathis Stunt Coordinator

I sit 13' from a 100" diagonal screen and don't see SDE. The picture is plenty bright.

Some folks with outstanding vision may be able to SDE at that distance but I don't.

I keep the iris 100% open because I like the bright screen but many like the perceived added contrast with the iris closed.

My pj is directly overhead when seated and it is so quiet that you can't hear it.

6. Curt Luther

Curt Luther Stunt Coordinator

I also have the Z2 and I have three rows of seating in my HT. The first at 8' the second at 11' and the last at 14'. I see very little screen door at the 8' row and no SDE at the last two rows. I have a 104" screen. My Z2 is also over my seating area and I only hear a slight noise when there is no sound in the movies.

7. James Tg

Curt:

I will watch SDTV on this screen (102")? Will it be too big?

James

8. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

I watch SDTV at 110" with my Z2...you will be fine. I only back this statement if you use AT LEAST componet source interfaces