Sanyo Z2 v. Z3 v. pany AU700

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RichV, Jul 27, 2005.

1. RichV

RichV Auditioning

My Sanyo Z1 has served me well. I'm looking to upgrade. Which is the best bargin / value?

2. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

Well it really all depends if you want to carry on with LCD which you already are familiar with or make a change to the DLP camp. LCD has dramatically improved from the model you own currently and an upgrade to the Z3 would be quite dramatic, if you still want to keep the same brand. Excellent reviews and performance for really cheap money. Sony,s HS51 is also great with amazing black levels for LCD. Panasonic,s PT-AE700U is what I own and is also good with virtually ZERO screen door effect at 1.5x screen width viewing distance. I say virtually because I do notice it occasionaly on some extreme contrast scenes in some films. But is is minimal. The 2x zoom lens gives better placement flexibility than most other models.

I have issues with single chip DLP projectors and can not view them for extended periods so I do not own them any more.You may find them fantastic yourself but a few hours with a model with at least a 4x colour wheel speed will tell you if you are sensitive to the rainbow effect as I am.

Most people are fine with single chip DLP and you could be too. The only issue is to get a 720p model for a good price is difficult. Expect to pay at least 1000$ more than comparable 720p LCD projectors. [​IMG]

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Rich,
    I am in the same boat as you are. I have a Z1 and have been thinking of upgrading.
    I just recently saw a HS51 which is nice but out of my price range.
    I know the Z4 will probably be out in November and maybe Z3 prices will be dropping. I think I will stay with the Sanyo as it should just be able to drop it in the same spot and not have to do much messing around.
    From what I have read the big diff between the Z2 and Z3 is Z3 has better blacks and the auto filter cleaner thing. Other than that not much. Some people have mentioned they thought the jump from the Z2 to Z3 was good enough for the price difference. About a $800 price difference between the 2 right now. For me that is big enough that I would just opt for the Z2 and spend the $800 elsewhere. .....maybe 1 row of Coaster HT seats. But since I am not buying right now I may end up with a Z3. I am in no hurry as My Z1 is still serving me well.

Chad