Sanyo Z2 Owners: Any bulb problems? I am getting worried!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Curt Luther, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Curt Luther

Curt Luther Stunt Coordinator

Does any of you Sanyo Z2 owners have any bulb problems to speak of ( brightness reduced). I read a couple of posts at AVM forum and a few people have said their bulbs went out and some say the brightness was reduced by 50% at only 450 hours. My Z2 is suppose to be in tomorrow, and I am wondering if I should even open it or should I just send it back and exchange it for something else. Do any of you have any regrets with you Z2 at all? I was on the fence with either DLP or LCD before I made my decision.
    Any advice or information would be great.

Curt

2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

I seriously doubt that there are any problems with sanyos projectors that are creating short bulb life. With the advent of the internet, you are much more likely to hear about problems than nonproblems. No real call to post that you have gone another 100 hours without a bulb problem.

I have had the z1 for 14 months. I believe that it has the same bulb as the z2. absolutely no problems with either the bulb or the projector. 800+ hours, and I fully expect to get 2000+ hours.

Almost every time you hear about bulbs going out in less than 1000 hours, it probably is an external issue. Some examples are, lots of on/off cycles (the 450 hour guy), overheating of projector (warm humid room, plugged filters, etc.), or shock damage on the bulb.

Keep your filters clean, your room cool, minimize on/off cycles and don't hit or drop your projector. If you do those things, you should get a long life span from your bulb.

3. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Curt,
    I've followed the post about the 450 hours brightness problem on avs as well. Mark is right, most of the time you only hear about problems not the stories about success. Out of all the guys on avs that have a Z2 this is the only on I know of that has this problem. Even the people that have responded to him have said they don't have the problem or have they heard of anyone else having a brightness problem. Now 450 hours in 2 1/2 months is a lot of usage(the bulb should still work), but if his on/off could be excessive(I'm not say his are I'm just speculating) that could be the problem. It also seems that he's using the Z2 as a TV and a projector may not be for everyone depending on the usage. The Z2 seemed to have VB problems in the eariler firmwares, but version 104 - 107 appear to have solved that problem. just take a look at how many post complained about VB from Nov-Jan, now you don't really see any.

I've only had my Z2 for a month and I have 92 hours on it with a dedicated HT. That's more than I'll normally put on it, but hey it's new and the wow factor was to much to resist. Now that the honeymoon is over I'll probably do something like 60 hours a month. My Z2 looks incredible and the brightness is great(for now [​IMG]).

Don't let this brightness thing stop you. Get your Z2 and enjoy it.

4. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

Boy!...I didn't realize my ~400 hours in 2 months was so "abnormal." Oh well, I better buy a new bulb soon.

5. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Lets see, 400 divided by 60 is 6.8 hours/day. Add in another 8 hours/day for sleep, and you are rapidly running out of hours. I hope you are getting some help in putting those hours on the projector.[​IMG]

6. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

Nope, just me.....8 hours of sleep? Hell, thats a coma if you ask me! [​IMG]

7. Curt Luther

Curt Luther Stunt Coordinator

Thanks so much for the info everyone. My Z2 was delivered today! I can't wait to try it out. I am not quite finished with my dedicated HT yet, still have screen and carpet to go, so it won't get much use for a little while.[​IMG]
    How can I tell what version of firmware I have? I think it is fresh off the Sanyo line, due to me having to wait an additional three weeks for it to come in from the dealer I bought it from.

Thanks again

8. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Curt, press "INPUT" and "SELECT on the projector at the same time. Then press the on/off button to exit. Don't do anything while your in there without writing down the settings first(you'll be in the factory menu), because there' no reset to get your unit back to it's original settings if you don't write them down first.