What's new

Sanyo Z1 and (1 Viewer)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
my thoughts....well hopefully after tomorrow I will have some as I have my Z1 sitting here at my desk at work. I might get a peek at it tonight....

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Well I'm very happy with mine, Chad (one problem aside) so I hope you'll be happy with yours. One thing you might want to eventually try is an FLD filter, to help counter the LCD tendency toward too much green...I put one on my machine with a little tweaking and got much better fleshtones.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Yes, I did demo the X1 a while back and for the price it is a grat machine but I really wanted a 16:9 native. I did see rainbows but they didn't kill me.

Larry,
Yes, I just read up on someone using the Hoya 52mm FLD filter that helps out on the greens. Now I need to decide on screen color...any ideas. I was thinking of one of the gray colors from Glidden.
Oh and it is going to be my wall with a 2" black border. I will post pics as I make changes to my setup.
Lots of stuff to do over the weekend.....Let's see it looks like rain...that works for me.
Any suggestions on a dvd player to go with this. Let's say $150 or less. I will borrow a friends progressive scan as my current one is not.
I heard some new info about the Liteon LVD-2100....

I will keep you updated over the weekend.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Chad, I don't know much about the Liteon. I know it's generating a lot of buzz, but that's about it. I don't think you need to match a specific dvd player to the Z1, you just need a decent player...I have a Panasonic CP72 with the old faroudja chip that I'm very happy with.
I'm using a Parkland Plastic screen. Before that I was just using a sheet, and though the image with the Parkland is obviously much cleaner (no wrinkles!) I did lose a lot of black level and 3D quality...Too much light reflecting off the Parkland, onto the walls and ceiling, then back onto the Parkland. FLD helped a lot with that as well as the green tint.
For my next screen, I'm definitely going to go DIY gray. Supposed to help a great deal with washed out blacks.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well I turned it on for about a 1/2 hour last night. Not bad considering I am using a Non progressive DVD player. I did notice that with SWE1 that it looked like a VCR movie so I think a Progressive DVD player will help out. I do have one dead blue pixel in the bottom mid right section which might be annoying. More to come.....

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Chad, I found that, out of the box, the "cinema" setting looked best. Calibrating with AVIA led me to tweak contrast and brightness up or down a few notches too...Most people seem to think the low level color setting is closest to 6500k but for me was much too red. Mid level was much better. I'm interested in hearing how your new unit works out....

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Larry,
I have to hit home depot tonight for a few things(Paint, electrical, diy mount parts, 2" border trim) I would like to get it mounted tonight and go from that.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well I ran an electrical outlet near the projector and did the DIY mount for < $20. I will post pics soon.

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
Chad: I'm thinking about getting the Z1 or Z2 in the next month or so. How far from the wall do you have your projector mounted and how far back is your seating. I can mount the projector anywhere from 9'to 12' back and my seats will be at 13' back- this is against the rear wall and not sure if I have enough room to do this right.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
the lense to wall is about 12' 6 " and the first row seating is 15 ft eyes to wall.....I will be posting more info once I have more time....too much stuff going on.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Still setting up...working on screen...Misty Evening on wall and will have a 2" border....

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
ChadLB, I'd be very interested in knowing your thoughts on ME. Have you ever projected on anything else that you could compare it to?

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Larry,
I was just projecting on the white wall(which needed to be repainted anyways). I just chose ME as a first screen color after tons of reading. I wanted something easy to do and right now I really don't have the time to try different colors. Though I did want to try Behr Powered snow with Behr silver metallic to see what that would be like.
Eric,
Z1...your thoughts with ME...also when you get some time send me your settings..

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well tonight I am buying some more paint, border for screen and hopefully will have stuff ready for sunday...

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well I finished the screen saturday and watched 2 movies today.....Awesome considering the DIY mount and screen were less then $70 combined...
I still havent tweaked with the projector settings yet...

Mike Livaudais

Auditioning
Great pics man!

How big is the difference by painting the wall, as opposed to just leaving it white?

I have a Panasonic 300U on a white wall, and the picture looks fantastic. Before I got the projector, I had planned on building a screen, but the picture has been so good, I've almost convinced myself that I may not even need one.

In your opinion, is it worth the time and money to paint the wall?

When going over ideas for the screen, did you contemplate using painted sheets of plastic? I know that's another popular option for a DIY screen.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Thanks

Yes, I did think of using parkland plastic and other things but
I took the easiest way for now. Using that color helped deepen the blacks. I really havent' tweaked the settings yet. The white wall was great but blacks to me weren't blacks so I tried ME from reading other posts. I thought hey if I didn't like it I can always repaint it white.
I guess I can do a comparison by shifting the lense over onto the white area and see how much a difference there is that way. It did make the characters in Monsters inc more 3d like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks