Sanyo Z1 and Studio Experience 1HD questions and anybody have a Z1x ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris PC, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Actually, I'm not very interested in the the Z1x since I'm finding it is too expensive for what it offers. Appears to be coming out for only a little cheaper than the Z2. I'm looking at the Studio Experience 1HD as an inexpensive PJ purchase.

Just had some questions for Z1 and 1HD owners:

1) How many hours did your first bulb last, or how many hours so far, if your first bulb is still working?

2) What source do you use?

3) Is there any kind of service menu and/or flicker tweak like there is in the Panasonic 200/300/500/700 Projectors?

4) Is there a way to run the fan on high while the bulb is on low?

5) How many dust blobs and how often do you clean the air filter?

6) Is there anyone in North America with a Z1x. Not a Z1, but a Z1 (x)? Apparantly, it looks like a Z2, but has the same resolution as the Z1, except 1000:1 contrast and possibly some other differences to the Z1.

thanx folks [​IMG]

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

1) Like I mentioned I only have roughly 400 on mine
    2) I use dvd to Component on Z1, also testing HTPC to VGA on Z1, also use HDTV during football season
    3) There is a service menu for tweaking the projector if you want.
    4) Not that I am aware of - Low bulb = lower fan
    5) No dust blobs - clean the air filter randomly - my guess would be every 2-3 months
    6) Just heard of the Z1x recently so good luck on that one.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thanx for the feedback. Ok, so there is a service menu, but you're not sure about the flicker tweak?

The Z1x is a unit with 1000:1 contrast vs the 800:1 of the Z1. Costs close to that of a Z2, so doesn't seem worth it to me.

Anybody know if there is a flicker tweak?

[​IMG]

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I have one at about 800 hrs, component from an upconverting player, had one dust blobs but not yet again. I don't know of any flicker problem with mine.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Flicker isn't so much a problem as it is an adjustment to minimize vertical banding and peak-a-boo scanlines. When you have vertical banding on the panny PJ's, you can go into the service menu and adjust the "flicker" menu for each colour. Minimizing flicker, particularly on the green panel, usually minimizes vertical banding, AND co-incidentally, it also reduces the visibility of the peak-a-boo effect. Both of these artifacts aren't bad on the Z1 to begin with, but I was just curious if the ability to adjust was there like it is on the Panny.