What's new

Sanyo Projector? (1 Viewer)

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I'm just getting into a projector for the first time as we have just bought a house. I've been looking for something that will give me a good picture at a decent price. I'd like to keep it under 1000.00 for the time being.

I've found a Sanyo PLV-Z1 for 499.95 which includes shipping. What does anyone think and is this projector a good deal?

Thanks,

Bill

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Depends on whether the unit is new or used.

Used ... expect to buy a new bulb for another $350 ...
Used ... expect the polarizor plate to be gone by this time and needs replacement. ($150)

It's a 960x540 unit ... which at the time was fairly decent ... but has screen door due to pixel size ...

regards

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Even new, I wouldn't buy it. The Z1 has/had a problem with very short bulb life. I checked into the Z1 before I bought my Infocus X1.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Saving up another grand will have two advantages and one disadvantage.

Advantages
1. You will be able to get a projector, which will give you the best contrast ratios, and film-like images in Hi-Def. Like the Z4, for instance.

2. Depending on how long you'll need to save, you'll be able to have your pick of the newest and most advanced projectors on the market. Like perhaps a Z5 or a Panasonic AE1000, for instance.

Disadvantages
1. Again, depending on how long it will take you to save another grand, you'll have to wait for awhile. It will be worth it, however, I can guarantee that.

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies.

I did find this projector brand new from B&H Photo online. The price just kind of jumped out at me so I thought I would ask. The other projector that I was considering was a Infocus 4805 but that would have to be used to stay in budget. We just bought a house so things are a little tighter and I really want to get away from my 27" Sharp.

Thanks again,

Bill

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Bill:

Talk to Jason, Neil or Kirk at TV Authority. I know they will work you out a great deal and they are authorized for every projector they sell.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I purchased my very first projector a few weeks ago and it is a Sayno Z3. It was about $300 more than your budget plus I also bought it with the Oppo dvd player. If you can come up with an extra $500 this an an awesome combo and the oppo comes with ( What I think to be) a very nice dvi / hdmi cable for the digital connection.

I sit around 10' from a 92" (graywolf pull down)and I have to stand about 2-3' from the screen before I see any screen door. I did have a little vertical banding at first but a few minor adjustments in the advanced menu and it was taken care of... It is a great set!

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again for all of the replies.

I will be giving the guys over at TV Authority a call when we get things settled from moving in to see what kind of deal I can get worked out.

Chad, where did you get that combo for that price, just out of curiosity?

Bill

If anyone has any good suggestions for projectors under that $1000.00 mark I would be open to listening what they are.

Bob_Chase

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

I've had my Z1 for about 3 years now. Usage is for DVD/HD/XBOX and on average is about 10hr/wk. I've not had to replace anything so far (knock on wood) and have been extremely happy. SDE hasn't been a problem at my viewing distance but the image could be a bit brighter.

No matter which one you get, if you're able to keep ambient light in-check and calibrate (I'm sure many here will attest is a necessity) you will be very pleased.

Good luck!

Bob

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Bill, it was not really a combo price, but I bought them both at projectorpeople.com. I ordered on a Friday afternoon and watched my first movie that following Tuesday ( I think it was Tuesday, really quick either way)

Users who are viewing this thread