Sanyo Plv-z2

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joseph Giacomo, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Joseph Giacomo

Anyone have this projector? SANYO PLV-Z2.
    Thinking of getting it over the In FOcus 4805

2. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

My friend has one. I helped him set it up. I think it is spectacular on HD. For DVD, it is nice but it doesn't knock my socks off. For the $$$ it seems like it would be hard to beat. Although, I have never seen a 4805 so I cannot compare any thoughts on the two.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

4. Joseph Giacomo

Whats the difference between DLP and LCD. Is one overall better than the other?

5. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Why did you open that can? Now there are worms everywhere.

LCD will give you a higher resolution at a lower price compared to DLP. There is also no chance of seeing rainbows (bright flashes of color in the picture) with LCD.

DLP will give you higher fill factor percentage and better contrast compared to LCD

People have very strong opinions on dlp vs lcd. However, for a beginner, you will be blown away with either technology. Pick the projector that gives you the features you want and go for it. Two things in particular you might like on the Z2 are the lens shift and the three year warranty. I personally would never buy a projector without lens shift, but that is just me.

6. Joseph Giacomo

I had been pondering the lens shift idea. Right now I am stuck between the Screenplay 4805 and the sanyo Z2. I think both would do what I want it to do...DVD's and X-Box. I like the idea of a higher Resolution with the Sanyo....*sigh*

7. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

The Z3, Panasonic ae700 and NEC HT510 are coming out next month.
    I saw the Z2 and was impressed with it's vivid colours HDTV looked good to. I could only see the screen door at four feet after that it was unnoticable.
    The Infocus has only a one year warranty however it has a faster colour wheel than the x1 to reduce rainbows and a good deinterlacer.I've read people get a good picture with satellite TV with that deinterlacer.
    If you're planning on using a HTPC the deinterlacer becomes irrelevant.
    My projector has a lens shift feature as well and it's a snap to adjust the picture. I took it to the cottage this summer and at night it was great to take out and adjust the picture on a portable screen I built. The lens shift might be less important if you're planning to build a dedicated theater where the projector is never moved.
    Resolution doesn't neccessarily translate into better PQ , black levels do. There's an article in the September issue of Home Theater Mag and the Optima H30 beat out the Benq 6200 for Black levels instead of the better resolution of the Benq.

8. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

Joe, just to add fuel to the fire. My friend has an X-Box and PS2 hooked up to the component imput of his Z2 and it looks really good. I am sure an X-Box will look good on any projector but I think the Z2 does a great job with video game systems. I think the point you are at is finding an LCD and DLP projector and seeing which you prefer. I happen to prefer DLP. YMMV

p.s. which is not to say that LCD's don't look great. [​IMG]