What's new

Sanyo PLV-Z2 Heavy Pixelation (1 Viewer)

Al L

Agent
Hi,

I'm experiencing heavy pixelation on my movies through my z2. I only recently purchased and setup this PJ. I am using a Sony dvp-cx985v player with progessive component output. Movies on my 55" RPTV are awesome, however when projected at about 100" onto a plain, grey wall, most of the movies are heavily pixelated. Some of the better movies I would say are about VHS quality on the z2 and I was expecting somewhere near Plasma as this is what a lot of the reviews were saying. I played the Matrix and this was unwatchable, it was like watching a poor, compressed ripped copy of the movie, huge amount of artifcats and pixelation.

Is there something wrong with this unit, is there a tweak I need to make, or is this is how it is supposed to be (and if it is I'm sending it back!)?

I currently have it placed 14' from the wall, projecting a screen size of 100", completely dark room. No additional settings on the dvd player.

Thanks!

Brad E

Second Unit
A slight defocus will eliminate much of the pixelation.
Could be that you are sitting too close as well. Try sitting back 2 - 2.5 x the width of your screen.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
1. How far back from the screen are you sitting? Are you talking about screen-door effect or jaggies in the picture? My guess is you're talking about jaggies in the picture, which leads to...

2. Try using your computer's VGA or DVI input, set the PC to output 1280x720 and play the movie in PowerDVD, making the projector the primary display if you're using two displays. I nearly barfed when i hooked my projector up with a DVD player, but the VGA input makes a lot of difference.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Al, I would also say you're sitting too close or there's something wrong with your DVD player. Did you try another DVD player with your Z2? If you try another DVD player, use the same component cable though, could be a bad cable.
DVD players also need periodic cleanings.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

So I guess the projector is supposed to magically create new detail in the image when you blow it up to 100"?

It's still the same old 350,000 pixels ... of DVD information.

Regards

Al L

Agent

If that were the case how come no-one else is complaining about vhs-quality images?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The projector still does not create additional detail. It doesn't for you and it doesn't for anyone else.

Put up a VHS image on the screen ... that is a VHS quality imge.

Check your equipment ... could be something wrong there. DVD set up to 4:3 tv ... or a player that has seen its best days some time ago. Spend the $100 and get another player.

There is also no way we can crawl into your head and figure out what constitutes VHS quality and what does not ...

Regards

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I saw someone elses Z2 and the picture looked excellent. He had the projector at 10' on a smaller screen and I could only see the screendoor at 3'
There's something else besides that projector that's wrong.
I know that if the progressive scan feature is turned off on my player, the picture looks similar to what you're describing.
I'd also check your component cables a picture can look bad with a faulty cable.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Al, did you try hooking up your computer?

We could argue all day, but in the end, only eliminating potential problem causes will fix the problem.

Al L

Agent
I found the problem.

My DVD player, for some reason, had some Digital Enhancement settings set at high, which was producing an overly sharp image. On discs that are not a great transfer, it was causing real bad pixelation.

I also adjusted the settings per another thread, therefore reducing sharpness and contrast, and this has made what I now consider an AMAZING picture.

The only thing I am still confused over is the screenmode on the Z2...

Does anyone know if I should be using normal, normal through, natural widesceen or full mode on this unit?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks