Sanyo PLV-Z2 - Ceiling or Rear Wall?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Davey_T, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Davey_T

Davey_T Stunt Coordinator

I've decided on the Sanyo PLV-Z2 largely because of the flexibility of where I can place the projector due to the lens shift feature.

Of course, now I have a problem--with so much flexibility I need to make a decision!

From the articles I've read, the "sweet spot" for the Z2 lens is when the projector lens is centered on the screen. I.e., vertically and horizontally. This would indicate that I should mount it on the back wall. I could also avoid any kind of shadow from the trim of my planned Carada screen.

Of course, mounting on the ceiling seems more attractive because there would be fewer times when someone's hand or head got in the way of the projected image.

Does anyone have any experience with mounting this projector one way or the other? (Or perhaps a similar experience with other projectors?) I'm leaning towards ceiling mount, but I want to make sure there won't be a shadow issue at the top of the screen.

My ceiling is 7.5 feet high. Because of a soffit on the front wall, the top of the screen will be no more than 6.5 feet high.

Thanks!
    Dave

2. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Dave,
    I have a Z2 and a 7'3" ceiling. I also have a sofit for my AC trunk lines and the top of my screen is at 6'4" and my soffit is at 6'8". The center of my lens is at 6' 9" with the lens shift. My sofit is to the side while yours is above the screen. If you look at this pic(the cameras really crappy) you can see how 1/3 of my screen is under the sofit and there's absolutely no shadow at all so you should be fine.

I moved the curtains away from the top right of the screen where the sofit is so you could see how much space was between the screen and the sofit. Otherwise with the black curtains you wouldn't be see the gap. sofit picture

3. Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich Stunt Coordinator

Wow, awesome theater you have there Legairre. [​IMG]

I am looking at getting the PLV-Z2. How does it compare to DLP TV's you have seen?

...Not to hijack the thread or anything...

4. Davey_T

Davey_T Stunt Coordinator

Legaiire--THANK YOU! I really appreciate the time you took to write back and take the picture.

And I concur with Merimac--great theater!

Some other follow-ups for you:

1. What kind of ceiling mount is that, where did you obtain it, and do you like it? (OK. A three-in-one question here.)
    2. What size screen is that? (Trying to get an idea of what the various screens actually look like.)
    3. I'm building a built-in rack similar to yours, off to the side. Do you find yourself distracted at all by the displays while you're watching movies?

Thanks!
    Dave

5. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

I have my Z2 Shelf mounted on the wall behide me. Then I just bought some tubing to hide the cables.

If you have the option to ceiling mount, then I would go for it. Since I rent, its not a option for me.

6. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Merimac & Dave thanks for the compliments on the theater. I've only seen one DLP unit and it was an Infocus X1 that looked really nice. I didn't see any rainbows either and I almost bought one, except I really wanted a projector that could display 720P so I could connect one of the new DVI DVD players to it and because of my sofit I needed a projector that had lens shift. I could have lived without the lens shift if I had too, but then the projector would have been about 6'4" off the floor to get the center of the lens lined up with the top of the screen. I have a second row of seating and that would have been an eye sore for any in the back. Also 6'4" is kind of low even in the front.

With the Z2's lens shift I have the projector at 6'8" with the lens at 6'9" and you don't even know it's up there.

Not at all. With a picture this big you really get lost in the movie or concert and forget about the lights. The Z2 really is great and I don't have any complaints. No VB or SDE either just a great picture.

7. Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the response Legairre.

The only projector I have really seen in depth was the Infocus Screenplay 4800, and I wasn't very impressed at all really. It gave the theater experience, but really, the picture just wasn't up to snuff for me. I guess I shoulda expected that as it is an 800x600 projector. I didn't see any rainbows though. [​IMG]

I hope to get a view of the PLV Z2 sometime in the near future, perhaps as early as next thursday.