Sanyo 15" LCD TV at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dick Boneske, May 31, 2005.

1. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

Today's Wal-Mart newspaper ad shows a Sanyo Stereo TV with 1024 X 768 resolution and 300:1 contrast ratio for $327. It has component video inputs. What happens if you feed an HD signal to a display like this?? Sounds like HD performance, but with a small screen. What's the scoop?

2. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

It sounds like this model:

15" EDTV

The 30 msec response time is pretty slow. At 15" diag. you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference betwen HDTV and EDTV. It is a 4:3 screen so HD sources will be even smaller. I have seen 20" Sharps and Panasonics for about $150 more.

3. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

If you're looking for a low priced LCD I'd skip that Sanyo and look elsewhere. The new models Westinghouse is putting out are actually really good, and very inexpensive. I believe they have a 17" EDTV in the $300 range, and there's a 20" HDTV 4:3 (with aspect ratio change option for HD material, basically adapting it to be a 17" screen. Think anamorphic squeeze.) in the $400 range.

I have the 20" model as a secondary TV and the pic is great, even with SD cable. At the store it rivaled the Aquos screens.