What's new

Santana- Supernatural Dvd-a... (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I haven't really had the chance to listen as it's so late at night but I must say that this is a high value disc!

Along with a 2.0 and 5.1 mix both at 24/96 it also has photo galleries, lyrics, DD, along with 4 videos and a short interview!!

As for the disc itself it does have an annoying ARISTA introduction before it loads to autoplay the 5.1. On the good side you can use the audio button to toggle between the stereo and the 5.1!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Do you have the CD to compare the 2-channel mix? The CD has awful compression. Great music but poor recording. I hope they fixed it with the DVD-A.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Bad news!! Both the multichannel and the stereo sound compressed! However the stereo sounds a little better than the CD compression-wise

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Has anyone heard the vinyl version? It's been on sale for sometime now.

I was looking forward to getting a good version of this recording.

Michael_T

Second Unit
I have the Classic vinyl, the original CD and now the DVD-A, and the vinyl is the way to go. It has the overall best quality sound.

Being a diehard Santana fan I was very happy to have "Supernatural" available on DVD-A, yet I was not so impressed with the disc overall. The stereo presentation was fine, a bit better than the CD, but not as good as the Classic vinyl. The MCH mix is bit of a mess, actually, and generally I "drool" over MCH mixes.

If you had to get only one version of Supernatural, the vinyl is it.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The SA-(hate the hyphon)CD has been reported on the Steve Hoffman site, too also be compressed.
Bummer.
Great music.
Horrific mastering.

The DVD-A may only sound better because of the additional 'head room', from 16/44.1 to 24/48.

Michael_T

Second Unit
The SA-(hate the hyphon)CD has been reported on the Steve Hoffman site, too also be compressed.
The DVD-A may only sound better because of the additional 'head room', from 16/44.1 to 24/48.
Which SA-CD are you referring to? The only Santana on SA-CD is "Abraxas" and "Caravanserai". And "Caravanserai" is a Japanese import SACD only.

"Supernatural" is only a DVD-A (as far as hi-rez) is concerned, and it is presented at 96/24 not 48/24.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
While I think the redbook CD version is horrible sound-wise, I thought that the stereo DVD-A version sounds a lot better. It doesn't rank as one of the best sounding DVD-A discs, but I don't think it's that bad.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoy this disc. Though the music is still compressed (due to the original mastering), the stereo track on the DVD-A easily bests the CD. THe multichannel mix is also quite decent. I would term it middle of the road... not super discrete and not just reverb of some sort. Coupled with the excellent bonus features, this disc is a no brainer at 13.99 from many retailers.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I've heard that the vinyl is not compressed, but since I don't own it, I cannot verify it.
I wonder what masters the vinyl was sourced from. If I recall correctly, this album was recorded only in digital (though I may be mistaken).

Still, for those without a turntable, the DVD-A is the best way to go at this point and the forseeable future.

J

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
I found it interesting that the person who produced the DVD-A states that he didn't use and compression at all. I guess I'll get it and return it if I don't like it.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I found it interesting that the person who produced the DVD-A states that he didn't use and compression at all. I guess I'll get it and return it if I don't like it.
I have heard that as well. I think it has everything to do with the original Masters. If the original masters were indeed compressed and digital in nature, I find it highly dubious that a vinyl presentation would offer any improvement (if anything it would degrade sound quality compared to the DVD-A). Regardless, the DVD-A gives you a very nice multichannel mix that you wont find anywhere else.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks