Sansui.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ChrisLazarko, Sep 9, 2003.

1. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Hey, quick question. My father had a set of 4 speakers from Sansui back in the 1970's. They still operate pretty well. I am wondering since nobody mentions them are they any good or what? Thanks.

As well as any information anyone could provide about them.

2. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

I don't know much about Sansui equipment, but, I do know that if you are a member of Yahoo, they have a group named Classic Sansui, with around 768 members. Maybe you can get some answers there. Good luck!

3. ChrisLazarko

Thanks.

4. Rudi B

Rudi B Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of Sansui SP-X9s (check Google for pics), and there's only one way of describing them: loud. In other areas, they suck and really suck for "soft" music. Hell, 17" woofer and bass performance is worse than modern bookshelfs. But for loud movies they rock (a subwoofer is required!).

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I thought Kenwood made them for them back in the mid 70's. I had some huge Kenwoods that I wish I still had that were monsters that looked almost identical to the sansui's. Anyway they were loud and great for rock and roll at the time. My ears surely have changed over the last 25 years but boy would I treasure hearing those puppies again with some old vinyl or reel to reel stuff.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sansui was separate from Kenwood (Trio Electronics), and never had any working agreement with the company. Sansui was best noted for some ambitious stereo receivers and preamps and power amps. But this was also the era in which the conventional wisdom was to avoid Japanese loudspeakers (which were usually loose-and-woolly ported systems with roller coaster-like frequency-response curves). So many of them had huge woofers (15 inches and larger), but they did not go down very far.

The Sansui brand name is still around, distributing cheap TVs into the U.S.

7. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I had a Sansui receiver I picked up overseas when I was in the military in the 70's. Weighed a ton and had built in dolby for taping to reel to reel or cassette. It had like 200 watts per. I think I paid like $600 for it. Sold it last year on ebay for the same amount and the shipping was like $80 it was so heavy. Anyway they probably don't bulid them like that anymore. It served me faithfully for many years.

8. ChrisLazarko

My father did the same actually. He was in the coastguard during Vietnam, (thank god he didn't go into the army) and he ended up picking up a reel-to-reel, record player, 4 sansui speakers, a sansui reciever, and some other things I am unsure of. They sound good to me and for what was back then I don't think it could be beaten... Although of course everything changes with time which is just why I am asking how everyone feels about them.

9. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I still have a matched Sansui system that I got back in '82. All the components were separate which I thought was really hi-fi stuff. I paid $1200 for the amp, tuner, turntable, cassette deck, equalizer and two 3 way speakers. I think the speaks have 12" woofers a 3" midrange and 1" tweeter. It was the first system that my wife and I bought right after we were married. I bought it because it was the best looking system they had in the store at the time. Had really cool LED's that lit up when you turned the volume up. Was fun to turn the lights off and just watch the little LED's blink. Anyway, I still have part of the system in my bedroom to listen to every once in a while while I'm in the bathroom. I use little book shelf speakers with it now. Anyway, I took the big Sansui speakers out of the attic a few months back and compared them to the Energy speakers I have in my main system. The Energy's have 6 1/2" woofers and the Sansui's have 12". I was so surprised that the bass was better from the Energy's than from the Sansui. I guess technology has come a long way.

10. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Hey Ed.. thanks for the post... I have always wondered if I should have kept those monsters. Boy were they good back then though... Of course subs were not even heard of then.