What's new

Sanford & Son Season 3 - potential problem (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I know this isn't out yet--don't know when it's due, off-hand--but I just saw a potential problem while watching an episode on Nick at Nite just now. In episode #51--"Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe"--Esther originally says (I don't feel comfortable saying this, but it's a quote; I'll spoilerize it not so much for content, but to preserve the joke for those who haven't seen the episode), "WHAT did you say, nigga?!"
That used to run unedited when TV Land played the series a few years back, and it was a real jaw-dropping moment when I first saw it. Now, it's been edited to where she says, "WHAT did you say, sucka?!"

I hope the edited version is not what lands on the DVD. David, I'm sure either you or Gord will review this set when it comes out. Could you keep this in mind and check for it?

Will K

Screenwriter
In an episode from Season 2 of The Jeffersons, George uses that word when he finds out an old friend is hitting on Louise. I don't know if that was dubbed over for syndication, so hopefully they'll use the original versions for S&S, which is also Columbia/TriStar.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David, I'm sure either you or Gord will review this set when it comes out. Could you keep this in mind and check for it?
No guarantees on that; I stopped reviewing since the end of last year (for basically the same reasons that eventually got to Ron), and for that reason Gord has other guys reviewing on the site besides himself (Chris Stewart would probably do it, I assume).

In fact, I never bought S&S season 2, because I have so much stuff to watch that I had to cut back somewhere, and starting with shows (like this one) that I never really watched on the tube seemed like a good place to start. If you think that's unfair I've me, then I'll remind you that this Trekkie still doesn't own Deep Space Nine S2!

I wouldn't worry too much about the line being cut. Although I won't say that accidents haven't happened, Gord has been assured by Columbia on several occassions that they do not intentionally censor their TV releases. Since you have the proof that this is true on The Jeffersons, I don't expect them to change their policy for Sanford & Son.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen any language being cut on Seasons 1 & 2 of Sanford and Son. Watch the same episode on TV Land and you will see it cut.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Amazing how times have changed eh? Theres another episode of Sanford'n'Son where he goes to court for whatever reason and he shouts out something that Id never thought Id hear on tv! :eek: I just about fell off the couch! Not that I was offended mind you,I found it hilarious ,people were a bit less uptight about being PC back then I guess. It was just a real shock to hear it on daytime tv. That kind of stuff would never fly now I imagine. I got to pick these up soon,one of the best shows ever. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Later,

Luis S

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
I wouldn't worry. Redd Foxx used the word on "Happy Birthday Pop" in season one & It's still there on the season one dvd set.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
What about the cut episode on disc 1 of season 2? Columbia has yet to address the problem.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They've been playing Sanford on Nick at Nite all week. The more I think about it, that might explain the line change. Nick is strictly a childrens' network during the day, so maybe they didn't want to risk that line for an audience that young. I haven't been watching on TV Land since it came back, but the line is probably intact there. It's actually kind of depressing that the show is back on TV and so readily available. I'm not nearly as excited by the DVDs as I was when season one came out.

What about the cut episode on disc 1 of season 2? Columbia has yet to address the problem.
I've yet to buy season 2 because of the cut (and because of its reappearance on TV Land, as I said above), but I've about gotten to the point where I'll just go ahead and get it if the mood hits me. I doubt if that issue will ever be addressed. For one thing, I don't think anyone's figured out how to contact C/TS. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks