Sanford & Son Season 2 has a CUT episode!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adkins, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I just watched the first few episodes of the 2nd season of Sanford & Son and noticed a very obvious cut in episode 2 "Blood Is Thicker Than Junk". After the interview Lamont has at the employment agency, Fred hires a man named Norman to replace Lamont. On the DVD, right after the employment agency scene it cuts to Fred sending Norman out in the truck. The part where they first meet and Fred makes jokes about his muscular build are gone. I'm not sure the exact time missing but the running time on this one is 22:19 whereas all other 8 episodes on Disc one run around 25 minutes (which I believe is correct for 1973) give or take a few seconds. Luckily, I just saw this same episode on TV Land about 2 weeks ago (with the missing scene intact) so Columbia can't tell us that this is the only version in existence. Another weird thing is that when the end music and credits come on the screen in this episode, there is both an audio and video fade/out before the usual end credits with Fred and Lamont loading the truck. When I used to see the show in reruns in the early 80's there was always more commercials inserted here which leads me to believe that we've been given a syndication cut. This is the only episode on Disc one that has this. Also, the credits come I noticed some of the end credits have "Copyright 1972/1978 Norbud Productions" while others have the original "Copyright 1972 Norbud Productions" in the end credits. This particular episode in question says "Copyright Tandem Productions Inc. 1973, 1977". I'm not sure if any of this means anything but I am nonetheless very disappointed that they didn't catch this! Surely the 22 minute running time was a dead giveaway!

Jeff

2. James_Garner

James_Garner Stunt Coordinator

James Garner
    Thanks for the warning about this pressing, although I'm glad to hear the other 7 episodes on the dvd are the 25 minute uncut episodes. Are there any cut episodes on the other 2 DVDs? Also, Are all of the "All in the Family" season 2 episodes uncut? I'm a little concerned about music-rights issues in "Archie in the Lock-up" (because that episode used a snippet of "Jesus Christ Superstar" & Arch criticizes "The freaks made Him a superstar"); & "Sammy's Visit" (when Arch sings a song when the family tries to guess who's Archie's passenger was)

3. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

4. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

5. Jorossy

Jorossy Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, has the dialog between Norman and Fred regarding how ugly Norman's drivers license picture is ("If you're this ugly in the morning, you're this ugly at night.") been cut?

To me, this and Norman buying the stuffed bear for security reasons are the two funniest scenes in that episode.

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I was ecstatic about S&S on DVD since I couldn't see the show anywhere else, but it's lost some of its appeal now that the show is back on TV Land. This ices the deal: no more S&S on DVD for me unless they reissue the disc with the uncut episode. Sure, the picture quality is better and there are no commercials, but I'm sure TV Land will play the episodes to death anyway.

7. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Any idea why this was cut?

8. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

9. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

10. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    CT might replace the disc. They repressed Annie, Silverado, and that Jackie Chan cartoon that had misframings or edits.

11. Greg_S_H

Greg

12. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Any news yet? Does anyone have an appropriate e-mail address for C/TS TV DVDs? I saw this in the store tonight and was really tempted by it, but I won't buy until it's fixed.