Sanford & Son, Perry Mason, and The A-Team on DVD from Columbia House

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewA, Dec 18, 2001.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I couldn't believe my eyes, but I searched the Columbia House web page and found that they are now offering DVDs of Sanford and Son. I must have these, even though I bought 29 VHS tapes from them.

They are also offering Perry Mason and the A-Team on DVD as well.

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

That's great to hear about Sanford and Son - now if they could just get Giligan's Island on DVD.

Do they offer all the episodes of Sanford?

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Oh, no! I've wanted both Sanford and the A-Team on DVD for a long time, but I dread the Columbia House model for TV series releases. Still, this'll be the only way to get them and I don't know if I can pass them up. I just hope the quality is good. Price will be a huge factor, though, as I just don't know if I can pay $24.95+ per disc.

Hmm. With the A-Team coming, can Airwolf be far behind?

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am not thrilled either. But, if they release the Equalizer and SWAT. It might be my only way to get them on dvd. I just hope they put 4(1 hr) episodes on a disc and not 2. That would make their pricing scheme a little easier to go down.

5. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Unfortunately, it looks like they will have only 2 episodes per disc, if the A-Team disc is any indication:
    http://www.columbiahouse.com/i2/cgis...e=ATMW&eqpCd=W
    BTW, I see they offer the regular Paramount Star Trek discs. I imagine that's a special case, but can the other series be purchased in stores? That would make buying these much easier. I could pick and choose and go at my own pace. I pretty much know the answer, but I wish that was how things stood.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    The quality of the Sanford & Son VHS releases is quite good. The DVDs should be even better. I just hope they're in the broadcast order. I hope I can find someone who will buy my VHS tapes once I replace them all with DVDs.

In my VHS collection, 116 out of 136 episodes were released. The whole series would take up 34 DVDs, nearly 3 years' wait. But with I Love Lucy, The Cosby Show, and All in the Family also on my list, it won't be a hard wait.

If only Fox had bought out Norman Lear's production company instead of Columbia (under Coca-Cola ownership). Sigh.

7. Steve jc

Steve jc Agent

I just received the first disc in the "Hogans Heroes" series. 4 chronological(by air date)episodes starting with the pilot. Unfortunately, this info was gleaned only from the keepcase and I cannot comment on picture quality as the dvd would not play. Never had a problem with any of my 140+ dvds. The disc was produced by Columbiahouse and the packaging was impressive, lots of info and trivia. I'm calling for a replacement tomorrow, hoping it's just a bad disc and not a major manufacturing defect.

8. tyler O

tyler O Stunt Coordinator

Maybe offered as DVD club selection in the future? That would almost make it worth it again. Wait... NAH!

9. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

10. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

As far as Sanford and Son, I think I'd be most content with the Aunt Esther collection. The ones with LaWanda Page were the funniest, at least to me.

11. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

Watch it sucka! You ol' beady-eyed fool. Praise glory! Hallelujah!
    er, sorry. It just slipped out.
    Bryan

12. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

This is the way All ib the Family started...

Maybe, just maybe, these (especially Perry Mason) will be released by season soon. I'd snarf seasons of PM in a dang heartbeat.

13. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Don't give them any ideas, Will. I want Sanford full boxes, not Best Ofs. Esther was great, though.

14. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

15. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Is anybody subscribing to the Columbia House Perry Mason DVD club? If so, what are your opinions and how many volumes do they have?

I am a huge fan of the show, but I choke at paying $30 (after shipping) for just 2 episodes unless I'm going to get something very special.

I agree with the others that it would be wonderful to have season by season of this. However since most of the 9 seasons had about 28-30 episodes (the 1st had 39), it is not likely to happen anytime soon.

Thanks!