What's new

SANFORD AND SON QUESTION (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Before I buy all these seasons (I have the first set), I was wondering if the following episode on the appropriate season is the complete episode or the syndicated version :

It is the episode in which Fred acts as Lamont's lawyer in court when Lamont receives a speeding ticket from a white officer. There is a Tarzan reference in the original episode which was edited for syndication.

Is the episode presented in the DVD set the edited or original version???

Thanks to anyone that can provide the answer.

Originally Posted by bretmaverick2

Before I buy all these seasons (I have the first set), I was wondering if the following episode on the appropriate season is the complete episode or the syndicated version :

It is the episode in which Fred acts as Lamont's lawyer in court when Lamont receives a speeding ticket from a white officer. There is a Tarzan reference in the original episode which was edited for syndication.

Is the episode presented in the DVD set the edited or original version???

Thanks to anyone that can provide the answer.

The episode has the Tarzan line intact. Quite hilarious.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It's Season 3, episode 15, originally aired January 11, 1974: "Fred Sanford, Legal Eagle."

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I watched the episode last night. OMG!

You're right -- that line was hilarious!

Now I know why the OP was so discreet in asking if it was unedited.

It's amazing the things you could say back then that are not acceptable now.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Could you tell me what the line was? You could hide it as a "spoiler" if you think it needs to be.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
If I just tell you the line, than it won't be funny. It's like telling the punch line in a joke without setting it up--plus I'll probably offend a few people.

But in the context of the scene and Redd Foxx's delivery, it was funny.

Here's a short excerpt from the book, Mental Floss presents condensed knowledge By Will Pearson, Mangesh Hattikudur that says the joke:

Paul Mavis also talks about this in his review of the complete series here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35598/sanford-and-son-the-complete-series/

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
This episode is worth watching just seeing Red Foxx in court. Red Foxx was a great comedian!!!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I must say I'm surprised; I had no recollection of "the n word" being said so casually, even back then. If I'm not mistaken, even Archie Bunker never said it!

Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

I must say I'm surprised; I had no recollection of "the n word" being said so casually, even back then. If I'm not mistaken, even Archie Bunker never said it!
Redd Foxx was black. He could get away with it. His Fred Sanford character is a classic.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i would have to agree that he gets away with because he is red foxx and his character was always making comments that support his views. Shows of the 1970s, like Maude, all in the family, jefferson, etc all had views of the time and the network cover themselvers by having a disclaimer about those views being reflected of the time and may not reflect the current view.

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
[SIZE= 12px]Without a doubt Sanford and Son is top shelf comedy. No matter what episode you select as a favorite, you can't go wrong. The Brillo pad with eyes (as Aunt Ester would say) had to be the greatest funnyman on tv for the entire decade, maybe even beyond. They say Red was hard to work with for the show creaters and that was why it ended when it did. I personally feel that it may have been just as well regardless before it started showing its age and dying off. And as an after thought here on episodes lengths, I'm almost positive that one show was only 22 minutes long. But no complaints here, folks. Sanford and Son will stay on my shelf until the day Fred (Red) and the rest of us are headed for the last round-up. BIG DUMMY..[/SIZE]

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mr. Ed said:
Without a doubt Sanford and Son is top shelf comedy. No matter what episode you select as a favorite, you can't go wrong. The Brillo pad with eyes (as Aunt Ester would say) had to be the greatest funnyman on tv for the entire decade, maybe even beyond. They say Red was hard to work with for the show creaters and that was why it ended when it did. I personally feel that it may have been just as well regardless before it started showing its age and dying off. And as an after thought here on episodes lengths, I'm almost positive that one show was only 22 minutes long. But no complaints here, folks. Sanford and Son will stay on my shelf until the day Fred (Red) and the rest of us are headed for the last round-up. BIG DUMMY..

While Mr. Ed no longer appears to be an active HTF Member (Hopefully, all is well with him!), for the benefit of those who might come across this Topic, Episode 2 of Season 2, "Blood Is Thicker Than Junk" clocks in at 22 minutes and 20 seconds. However, as this episode features the usual tag ending scene, I'm not sure just where the edits for syndication might have been made.

Fred Sanford Having One Of His Many "Heart Attacks" In The "Blood Is Thicker Than Junk" Season 2 Episode:

vlcsnap-2016-01-12-13h48m46s186.png

CHEERS! :)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Joe Lugoff said:

I believe that Maude said that once, but I don't remember the context.

My favorite line is the one where Fred says to Esther, "You're so ugly I could press your face into cookie dough and make gorilla cookies!"

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mr. Ed said:
Without a doubt Sanford and Son is top shelf comedy. No matter what episode you select as a favorite, you can't go wrong. The Brillo pad with eyes (as Aunt Ester would say) had to be the greatest funnyman on tv for the entire decade, maybe even beyond. They say Red was hard to work with for the show creaters and that was why it ended when it did. I personally feel that it may have been just as well regardless before it started showing its age and dying off. And as an after thought here on episodes lengths, I'm almost positive that one show was only 22 minutes long. But no complaints here, folks. Sanford and Son will stay on my shelf until the day Fred (Red) and the rest of us are headed for the last round-up. BIG DUMMY..
In addition to the shortened "Blood Is Thicker Than Junk" Season 2 Episode, Episode 3* of Season 3, "This TV Went To Market" appears to also be edited, with a running length of just 22 minutes and 18 seconds. This is also the first Episode with Whitman Mayo as Grady, Bernie Hamilton also fills in for Hal Williams as the Black Cop, though with a different character name.

So far, I've observed the following regarding this show's running lengths:

The Season 1 Episodes run in the high 25's - low 26's, with the shortest Episode running at 24:45.

The Season 2 Episodes run mostly in the high 24's - low 25's, with the edited Episode 2 running just 22:20.

For future reference, I'll report any S&S Episodes that have a less than 24 minute running time!

* According to information posted on IMDB.com this is listed as the 5th Episode. I'm going by the order in which it appears on my Season 3 DVD.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Since this thread has been revived, I'll just mention that I wish someone would release the 2-season revival Sanford. You know Sony won't. Shout Factory would seem to be the obvious choice, but at this point I doubt it. While not as strong as the original series, there were some good episodes.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Lamont: "...and when she said she lost 50lbs...?"

Fred: "If she looked behind her she'd find em!"

Brilliant show. In my Top 10. And another I have wishlisted to buy a backup copy. Also, I'd buy any of the followup shows, or the spinoff Grady in a heartbeat. And a region 1 of Steptoe and son that inspired it.

just dumb son.jpg

:D

Oh! I was thinking about the pork&bean/zuccini exchange between Fred and Lamont not too long ago. Absolutely hilarious. found it... :D

Fred Sanford: We could have a little pork and beans now and a little zucchini later. Or a little zucchini now and a little pork and beans later. Or if you like the pork and beans, you can have them and I'll take the zucchini or I can take the pork and beans and you the zucchini so what will it be? Zucchini or pork and beans?
Lamont Sanford: The oven don't work.
Fred Sanford: Oh, in that case, we'll have some cold pork and beans now or...
Lamont Sanford: Would you stop that?!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Radioman970 said:
Lamont: "...and when she said she lost 50lbs...?"

Fred: "If she looked behind her she'd find em!"

Brilliant show. In my Top 10. And another I have wishlisted to buy a backup copy. Also, I'd buy any of the followup shows, or the spinoff Grady in a heartbeat. And a region 1 of Steptoe and son that inspired it.

attachicon.gif
just dumb son.jpg

:D

Oh! I was thinking about the pork&bean/zuccini exchange between Fred and Lamont not too long ago. Absolutely hilarious. found it... :D

Fred Sanford: We could have a little pork and beans now and a little zucchini later. Or a little zucchini now and a little pork and beans later. Or if you like the pork and beans, you can have them and I'll take the zucchini or I can take the pork and beans and you the zucchini so what will it be? Zucchini or pork and beans?
Lamont Sanford: The oven don't work.
Fred Sanford: Oh, in that case, we'll have some cold pork and beans now or...
Lamont Sanford: Would you stop that?!
Actually, it was 40 lbs. I recall this only because I just gave that Episode a fresh viewing a few days ago! :biggrin:

I agree with you that this show was brilliant, especially the first two seasons, though I think Season 3 also has a lot more Aunt Esther, with her and Fred's hilariously biting exchanges!

Among the spinoffs, the only one I ever really watched with any regularity was SANFORD, which was underrated, in my opinion!

The pork & beans/zucchini dialogue is classic! :)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Saw SANFORD ARMS rebroadcast on BET several years ago. Truly a bad show.

GRADY was ok. Whitman is always funny. I'd pick up a release for this.

SANFORD was almost as good as the mother show! I think Eve was a miscast character. But the second season was a bit funnier than the first. This would be a definite buy for me!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks