Sander of choice for $50 or less

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Jan 3, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I'm looking for a sander to use for MDF roundovers, basic speaker building needs, and other small projects. What are your recommendations for my small budget?

2. SalMaglie

SalMaglie Stunt Coordinator

I'm an unabashed fan of reconditioned tools since they usually come with a factory warranty(check to make sure before purchasing). The random orbit sander I hear recommended most by my fellow woodworkers is the Porter-Cable 333VSR, and you can pick up a recond. model for $60 at Amazon.com.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...925441-6314567
    I can understand if your budget is tight and you don't want to spend that extra $10 or so, and you can get the same model without the variable speed( although it's a nice option to have) at Tylertool.com for $40.
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tylertool/porrec5ranor.html
    If you have an aversion to Porter-Cable, other good brands of sanders are Bosch and Makita. I have a Makita 5010 that I bought a few years ago for about $50 before I became net savvy, but I still don't regret the purchase. At the time it was highly rated, but sometimes I wish I had the variable speed that's on the P-C. Popular Woodworking liked the Makita so much they named it a tool of the year back in 1998.
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...sand2_new.html
    Whichever one you choose, you should at least try to find one locally to see if you like the way it fits in your hand.

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Jeff, I too recommend a Porter-Cable. I have the single speed version and it works great. I attach a hose from my shop vac to it which results in almost no dust in the air. If it's available factory reconditioned in your price range, go for it. Now, I'll put in my two cents about your using it for cabinet roundovers - don't. Do speaker cabinet roundovers with a router and large radius bit. Small radius bits are fine for cosmetics, but you must use a very large radius bit for the sonic benefit of reducing edge diffraction distortion. I've been using a 1" radius bit and just bought a 1 1/4" radius bit. If you don't have a router, maybe you could get a friend with one to do your roundovers. That said, the P-C sander will be great for sanding flat wood/MDF areas.

4. dave shreve

dave shreve Extra

I've got a Porter Cable 1/4-sheet sander, model 340, that I am really happy with. It comes with a case and a dust collection setup. Lowe's and Home Depot both stock them for ~$40.

-dave

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Hank,

I think you misunderstood me on the roundovers. I do plan to use a router for the roundovers but don't you still have to sand them after you rout it out, or are the smooth enough with just the router bits?

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Jeff, the roundovers will be smooth enough to apply veneer and will be smooth enough to apply primer if you're going to paint your cabinets. No sanding necessary. Have fun D-I-Ying!