What's new

Sand Pebbles - Cinema Classics Collection (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Just picked up this latest 2 disc version today and tried to do a comparison between the previous release and the two offered on this dvd. One is the theatrical 2:35 and the other - on one side of the second disc which has the special features on the flip side - is what Fox indicates is the Road Show version. I personally have no background knowledge of it, and the listed OAR is 2:20. The opening title scene with the two ships has a definite orange tint as opposed to the 2:35 print producing a more yellowish color , and what becomes quite apparent on seeing the actual film is what amounts to a prominent sepia like tone. I can only conclude that there is a definite lack of cyan in this print - although yellow objects are present in various scenes the overall balance leaves a lot to be desired. The 2:35 print is much nicer. Overall the 2:20 print is sharp and clear with excellent detail but the sky is very washed out and flesh tones are on the pinkish side - though not excessive. I wonder if the negative Fox used had faded badly - a common problem as we all know. I would say that the 2:35 film on this latest release is perhaps a bit sharper than the first dvd and that the sound track is more dynamic and detailed as well. I only listened to the 4.0 in 2 channel but will definitely check out the new 5.1 mix offered.

There is an isolated film score with commentary and I have yet to watch the special features, but they look interesting. There is a reproduced 34 page press book, informative insert and four color lobby cards. If you have the original I think this dvd is worth upgrading to. I do wonder about the 2:20 film and any information on the reason for the washed out appearance would be nice. Which OAR is correct?

I will also be checking out Von Ryan's Express as well.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
FOX seemed to have trouble with many of their large format films. But still looking forward to this one. Where did you find a copy so early?

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Greg - to answer your question on availability - the local place I deal with usually sells their shipments when they receive them, which in some cases may be 2 weeks earlier than the release date. Fortunately I don't mind!

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Was the Roadshow version blown up to 70mm? I ask this because it was filmed in standard Panavision (2.35). Super Panavision 70 has an ar of 2.20:1.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Sand Pebbles road show was blown up to 70 mm from the original 35mm

ON the new two disc version, there are two different transfers.
The short version is from a completely restored ( from the color seps) 35mm negative.
Not so the long version, which is from a faded 70mm print found in England last year, and is the only way the long version exists.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Why couldn't they just cut together the scenes exclusive to the longer version with the restored, general release version as they did with South Pacific?

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
From what I've read FOX had the 70mm print all this time in their 70mm vaults here in the US and didn't know about it until very late in their production of this new dvd. They had already done a thorough digital restoration on the 35mm version. It will be interesting to see what scenes(mostly known) are part of the new Roadshow version and what scenes aren't. From all indications there were a few slightly different Roadshow versions out there at the time of the original showings. The new 'sound' at 5.1 should really enhance Jerry Goldsmith's score.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Settled down and finally listened to the 5.1 mix. In a word - wonderful! Compared to the original 4.0 surround track the sound level is greater at the same setting and of course the bass is much improved with better fidelity. It is a treat to finally hear one of Jerry Goldsmith's best scores the way it should be. I have two subs - nothing spectacular but above average (10" and 12")and now the music has much more punch as would be expected. So Goldsmith music lovers should be happy with this one.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

They DON'T have anyone keeping track of this important info?!? :eek:
Sheesh!!!!!!!!!! Keeping track of this info would seem to me to be a NO BRAINER!

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
The Blu-ray version of the Sand Pebbles, apparently, only includes the additional scenes from the Road Show version, as compared to the standard DVD which includes the longer version on the second disc. Is the Blu-ray so superior to the DVD as to justify not having a complete Road-Show copy?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by haroldS

The Blu-ray version of the Sand Pebbles, apparently, only includes the additional scenes from the Road Show version, as compared to the standard DVD which includes the longer version on the second disc. Is the Blu-ray so superior to the DVD as to justify not having a complete Road-Show copy?

I was disappointed that they did not include the Roadshow version with the Blu-ray. I would have been happy if they even just had a SDVD transfer included as they did for South Pacific. At least I could have gotten rid of my SDVD copy. I did get the Blu-ray and it is a good transfer with grain still visible. There was some worry since it was released at the same time as Patton and The Longest Day on Blu-ray and they both were DNR to death.

I have a lot of respect for this film and of Robert Wise's direction. Steve McQueen was superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks