San Francisco: Where to stay and what to do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Hansen, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Terry Hansen

Terry Hansen Stunt Coordinator

There has been a rash of "what to do when I'm at ..." threads so I thought I would add my own. I'm going to be in San Fran for a couple of days prior to a course so I'm looking for recommendations for a good hotel to stay at. I would like to be close to to some of the more interesting tourist attractions and restaurants. I will be renting a car so transportation isn't a big deal.

I would also appreciate some suggestions of interesting things to do for the two days I have to tour around. I was planning on the Alcatraz tour, Ghiradelli square and Fishermans wharf. Any others? Good restaurant recommendations?

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

If you do a search you should find a fairly detailed thread on what to do in the SF area.

3. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

Eh, Golden Gate Park,Haight & Ashbury Shopping, Marketplace Union Square, Little Italy (try to get a reservation at the stinking rose), China Town (right by little italy, try to get some dim sum there), The Light House....yeah i was just there and i forgot...well try to visit berkeley that's my fav town.....don't eat at fishermen's wharf it's very expensive and nasty food, go to china town or somewhere else....try to book the night tour for alcatraz, it's the best....The Castro(if you're interested in the gay area of the town) uhmm Berkeley Marina? I have forgotten...uhmm alamo square, where the house in the 80's show "full house" was pictured...head down to pacific heights....and you might wanna find the Nob Hill, starts on the west side of fisherman's wharf and heads up to the financial district...where you'll find the steepest hills in the city and the famous winding street....that you can drive down...=)...if you're interested in cable cars to tour around the city...take the blue ones not the yellow ones( i think, the ones that look newer, because the old ones are really bad and slow)

4. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Just got back from San FranciscoOakland a few weeks back. I must say that San Francisco is one of, if not, the most beautiful, clean city that I have ever been to. Completely different than any city you'd find on the east coast or midwest.

Alcatraz is definitely recommended. We took the BART from Alameda (where my in-laws live) to one of the downtown stops (dont remember the name offhand). We got off and took the cable car to the wharf area (near Alcatraz).

Of course the hills in San Francisco are legendary, but they are even more massive than I pictured they would be. It was amazing to see people parallel parking on these hills! No lie, you have to see them and travel on them to believe it! We went to Alcatraz, and then had dinner down on the Wharf. We then took a cable car back uptown a little bit and got off near Chinatown. Surprisingly, Chinatown was relatively flat compared to the rest. Basically, Chinatown is one long street (at least from what I noticed) as opposed to being on a grid, like most cities).

I loved San Francisco, so much that I'd seriously consider moving out there if the opportunity came along. I didn't care for Oakland as much (what I saw of Oakland was somewhat run down).

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I will come up with more later....but try to have dinner at The Cliff House in San Francisco. Food is pretty good, but the view, especially on fog-free early evenings, is to die for. The Cliff House faces west towards the Pacific Ocean and when the sun sets on a clear night, the view is magnificent.

6. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Go down to the bay and see the only remaining original liberty ship, the Jeramiah O Brian, you can go onboard on the weekends

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

What are your interests?
    I live in the Haight or Haight Ashbury (as it is known outside the area). Amoeba is a great store (Haight near Stanyan) for DVDs, LDs and music.
    Let me know specifics and I can help
    Grant
    BTW...Most of my friends from out of state never drive when they come here....between hills and bad traffic, they tend to fread out. Taxis & Buses work well

8. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

oh yeah that's what i forgot the cliff house! not the light house, sorry but yeah that place is good and check out all the cool old arcade machines....

9. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

If you are into surround sound, may I suggest The Audium with 169 channels! [​IMG]

10. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Don't forget Lombard St. A trip across the Golden Gate is aways fun. Coit tower, china town, ghirardelli square, north beach. Lots of stuff to do while your here.

11. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

Steven K,

If you think SF is clean, go visit Seattle. By far a much cleaner, safer city.

12. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    San Fransisco is a town with true character. I really love visiting there. I, too, would live there, but it is too darned expensive. I was flown out there for a job interview. Just to park my car in the building garage would cost $485 per month. [​IMG]

I would suggest seeing Muir Woods. Very nice and peaceful. Get some Ghiredelli chocolate, go to Alcatraz (my dad was a prison guard there, so I got the VIP tour when I went), if you are a computer nut, drive south and visit Silicone Valley (San Jose and Santa Clara). It's kinda surreal to see Yahoo's building, or 3-Com's complex.

Have fun! Eat some sourdough for me!

13. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I just got back from the Valley and I stayed at the Hilton Towers for $70/night (Priceline.com) right off of Union Square. A superb value as far as rooms are concerned (ask for a Tower 1/2 room; not Tower 3) but parking is steep at $29/night.

14. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Since this is the HTF, definitely check out Dolby Lab's building or that building at the intersection of Columbus and Kerny, which is owned by Francis Ford Coppala and is used as his film company's logo. By the way, watch out for a car with the California license plate of "THX1138". I saw the car years ago in downtown SF and often wondered who's the owner.

15. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig