What's new

San Francisco Symph SACD- Mahler #1 (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
A heads up for all other Mahler / SACD enthusiasts:

One of the most revered SACDs out there is a hybrid multichannel double SACD performance of Mahler's 6th Symphony by Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony. The performance is very strong and the sound quality is top-notch. I do believe this is a "Pure DSD" recording as well. It therefore has pretty much everything you could hope for from an SACD. This is reference stuff.

When this one came out, they were advertising that all of they would release all of Mahler's symphonies this way from this orchestra. Of course I was skeptical. Fortunately, they have just come out with the next installment: the 1st symphony.

I just checked elusivedisc and they have it in stock. It will be a part of my next order.

I have the 1st symphony on Sony single-layer stereo SACD- an older recording of Bernstein. The new one should blow it away sonically. Musically? Well, I leave that up to the more scholarly Mahler enthusiasts to decide.

For me, the Bernstein SACD was the first complete Mahler symphony I'd ever heard, and it got be hooked. Since then, I've bought the afore-mentioned 6th SACD, the 5th from Telarc, and the 2nd from Delos. The 1st is relatively more accessible than the later ones and I highly recommend it for those interested in exploring this unique composer.

Other SACD classical titles I'm looking at are a bunch of new ones from Channel Classics, who are releasing some obscure and odd (to me) titles. I only have one, but I definitely want to check out more. There is also (finally) an SACD of Mozart's Requiem, one of my favorite pieces of music ever. I really hope the performance is good and they don't over-dramatize it like so often happens with Mozart. The CD version I have is very good, but I like to replace my CDs with high-res when I can. *crosses fingers*

NP: Marillion, Front Row Club #4

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Hey buddy. Thanks for the head's up. I have the 6th, and might just get them all. Good stuff.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Other SACD classical titles I'm looking at are a bunch of new ones from Channel Classics, who are releasing some obscure and odd (to me) titles.
Actually not that obscure and very good. I have three SACDs from them and they are very good - particularly the Britten violincello.
:)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
particularly the Britten violincello.
That happens to be the one Channel SACD I have.

Well, they're obscure to me. I had never heard of Britten before. And not all of them are obscure- Mozart's Requiem looks like a prime candidate for a next purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks