What's new

San Diego Visit (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm going to San Diego with my parents in May and am looking for suggestions on activities. I'm mainly going to keep them company so their interests (and age) will be setting the tone. It probably seems silly, but none of us are really beach people. We'll probably go check it out, but I don't picture us hanging out on the sand soaking up the sun. I think my dad would be really interested in anything military/naval though.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The most obvious thing to do would be the world-renowned San Diego Zoo. I'd start with the Conventions & Visitors Bureau, which has a free vacation planning kit.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I would add that in addition to the Zoo, the Wild Animal Park is also excellent. Plus I believe you can buy discount tickets that will get you into both parks.

Depending on your interests, you may also want to check out the San Diego Aerospace Museum.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Even though you aren't beach people, La Jolla Cove area is absolutely gorgous. Go during a weekday, it'll be less crowded. If Black's Beach is still following its...ah...well..clothing optional policy, the could be interesting too.

I second the zoo and the wild animal park. The wild animal park has (or used to) a fabulous butterfly exhibit. Try feeding the lorikeets at the wap too.

If they still have the birds of prey show at the wap, sit in the center top of the ampitheature and volunteer. You get to be part of the show.

Catch a Padre game in their new ballpark. I've never been in it, but I hear its a terrific ballpark.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
SD is a major naval base. And there is the "Star of India", which is a steel hulled sailing vessel. Quite old and its basically a floating museum.

Not quite sure where it occured, but SD was the scene of a t-rex rampage in JPII.:b

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Go on the air craft carrier (USS Midway) that's docked beside the Star of India. The Zoo's very cool but if you are going with your parents its a l o n g walk so plan on talking the shuttle around otherwise you won't see all of it. There's coupons you can get online that'll help cut that cost down a bit.

Old town is worth going to...esp for the food :emoji_thumbsup:

As a movie guy Top Gun was filmed there so while you're at the air craft carrier head up the street a bit to the little restaurant where the last jukebox scene was filmed. There's a plaque on the outside saying that the sleezy bar scene was filmed here :D

If you or your parents are golfers Torrey Pines is just up the coast past La Jolla. There's a state park there as well if you wanted an easy walk to where the sandstone cliffs are in the photo gallery I'll link to below.

some of my photo's from my trip there are online here

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
I'll second the Star of India and the Midway. They're right up the street from each other.

It's extremely touristy, but there is a narrated trolley ride that stops in 8 different spots around the city.

Boarding Locations/Stops:
(1) Old Town State Park, (2) Cruise Ship Terminal, (3) Seaport Village, (4) Marriott Marina/Convention Center, (5) Horton Plaza/Gaslamp Quarter, (6) Coronado (Mc P’s Orange Ave), (7) San Diego Zoo, (8) Balboa Park

The cool thing is that a trolley leaves from each of these locations every 30 minutes. You can get off at each stop and cruise around...then catch the next convenient trolley when you're ready to take off to the next spot. My parent's loved it. You can kill a ton of sight seeing in one day like this. They point out the Top Gun sights along the way too.

Sea World is always fun, but again...lots of walking. Gorgeous museums and botanical gardens in Balboa Park. Actually, just the architechture there is wonderful. Coronado Island has the Hotel Del Coronado "The Del" where Some Like it Hot was filmed...L. Frank Baum did a lot of writing...and it was also the inspiration for "Somewhere in Time"

There's more info here.

Something else that is a big hit when we have visitors here is a dinner cruise. This is the one we've taken several times. San Diego Harbor Excursion They also do a narrated daytime tour with just a snackbar.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
BTW and FWIW...Yes, it does, but it's primarily gay men...so consider whether that's the sight you and your parents are interested in seeing. If so...knock yourselves out. ;)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, it's embarrassing, but my parents are actually more physically active than I, often going on 5-7 mile walks if they don't go to the gym. So walking won't be an issue for them as much as for me :b.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for the warning! If my brother were with us, it'd be a different story :).

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I lived in San Diego for about nine months last year and my parents came out to visit while I was there so I'll give you some highlights:

1) As mentioned umpteen million times, the San Diego Zoo is pretty much a must. The Wild Animal Park (about 30-45 minutes north of the city) is pretty amazing too. Less variety of animals but a much cooler environment to see them in. My wife preferred the Wild Animal Park to the Zoo.

2) For checking out the Naval sites- take a harbor boat tour from the downtown area. The one that we took went by all of the major naval bases, including the submarine base at Point Loma, the main Naval Station, and base at Coronado. Probably the best way to see some ships. Not sure if the bases themselves offer tours (I'm in the Navy myself so getting onbase is never a concern).

Tours can be booked from several places right next to the USS Midway.

3) Old Town- great for shopping and excellent Mexican food. Though the most popular restauarant there recently closed so it might not be as great as it once was.

4) La Jolla Cove as mentioned earlier- I'm not a beach person but it was still quite beautiful.

5) Balboa Park is gorgeous and is home to a multitude of really nice museums.

6) While down by the USS Midway, hit up Seaport Village. Great shopping and a neat environment.

Brent_H

Second Unit

Johnny...did you scare em back to the hetero side? :D

Someone told me about this area where there are TONS of tulips...can't remember the name...?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I was there, it was a hetero beach, or at least not segregated. I didn't notice anyone recoiling in fear.:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks