Samurai X OVA : Anyone find the subtitles WAY too fast??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonRH, Dec 30, 2001.

1. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

The title says it all. I began watching it in Japanese with subs on but found them whizzing by the screen so fast I couldn't keep up (at least for the fist few minutes that I attempted it). I was forced, to my dismay, to watch the whole thing listening to that atrocious english dub. Probably why i came away thinking less of the series than most do.

2. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

The Subs are a little fast on this title. I did manage to keep up with it but it sure kept me on my toes. If I wasn't so used to reading subs though other Anime and other foreign films I would have had a very hard time. Besides watching it twice wouldn't hurt as it's very good.
    Another title that has very fast subs for the amount of dialogue they are giving you is Neon Genesis Evangelion. Now that one really tested my speed reading abilities.
    [​IMG]

3. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Thanks Jim.
    Maybe as I watch more subbed anime I'll get a little better at following it (when the sub timing is bad in some way, that is). I just can't stand listening to awful dubs but I don't want to speed read either!! [​IMG]
    What was your opinion on EVA??

4. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

EVA was great. Very weird and complex. It's a series you really have to pay attention to. The series ending is hated by many for being so abstract but they made the End of Evangelion movie for a more clear cut ending. While it's not out yet in Region 1, I was fortunate to see it and it's one of the best Anime movies and a great ending to the story. As anime series go I'd rank EVA up there with COWBOY BEBOP & KENSHIN as my favorites.

As far as reading Subs I was the same way at first. Just like anything the more you do it the easier it becomes. Now when I'm watching something with subtitles I don't even notice it as it only takes me a fraction of a second to read now. The really cool thing is I'm even starting to pick up quite a few Japanese words while I'm at it. It's good that you're staying away from the abominable dumbed down Dubs. There are quite a few out there who prefer the Dubs but I think it's just the lazy way out and just as bad as Pan & Scan. But to each their own I guess.

Jim