Samuel Fuller's Shark!, Is The DVD Any Good?

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
Specifically, is it in the right aspect ratio, is the transfer decent, and how are the suplements? I can't find any reviews of this release anywhere.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member

Troma edition of Shark!

It was released on the 29th of June. I cannot find any reviews online, though. If it has a good, anamorphic transfer, then it would be a must-buy for Sam Fuller fans.

IMDb lists it as being 1.33:1 pan and scan. But a true review of the disc would give confirmation. I believe the film was shot in either Panavision or Techniscope @ 2.35:1. I could be wrong, though.

Forty Guns is out now in France:

Quarante Tueurs (Forty Guns)

It has an, apparently, superb 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer.

And a UK edition is due on 23rd August:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002HSDTG/qid%3D1089386864/202-1277985-1294214

I'm not sure if this is going to be from the same 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer like the French edition. I presume it will be, but you never can tell. Fox own the U.S. rights, do they not?

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I think all Troma DVDs are Full Frame.

Here are the specs as listed at DVDEmpire.com

Features:
Discussion Of Samuel Fuller With Jerome Henry Rudes, co-Writer with Samuel fuller of Third Face, A Biography Of the Director
Lloyd Kaufman Interviews Director Vincent Sherman, Remembering Samuel Fuller and a Discussion Of the Hollywood Blacklist
Lloyd Kaufman Interviews With Eric Sherman on Samuel Fuller
Interview With Troma President Lloyd Kaufman On Samuel Fuller
Today's Youth Evaluates Samuel Fuller
Special On-Location At Sundance Introduction By Lloyd Kaufman

Video:
Standard 1.33:1 Color

Audio:
ENGLISH: Dolby Digital Stereo

Subtitles:
[None]

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
It is Pan & Scan. I haven't "watched" the film yet so I can say how it looks.

As for the other person's comments about Troma, Dario Argento's film STENDAHL SYNDROME is widescreen but not anamorphic. So they do release DVDs widescreen.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
The film was originally released 1:85, not 2:35 scope as noted above. I handled a 35mm print recently.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco