What's new

Samsung UN55D6000 and LED Questions (1 Viewer)

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Hi all -- I'm thinking of picking up this particular model in the coming weeks and have a few questions. I've Googled the hell out of this and am coming back with inconsistent answers from various sources. That, coupled with my relative inexperience with the world of LED TVs leaves me more confused than when I started :) So I was hoping to pose them here to maybe get a better understanding. I'd like to apologize in advance if any of this has been asked before. I used the "Search" and only came up with one thread about this particular model, but still. My first concern is that this is an edge-lit LED and I've heard horror stories about how sometimes the edges of the screen are noticeably brighter than the center of the image. That's an issue for me, but I was wondering if, in general, its a realistic one. Not necessarily with this TV (because obviously I can't expect everyone to have personal experience with it), but what are your issues with this type of problem? Can it be as bad as some people say? Is it a "You can really only see it if you're looking for it" type of thing, or is it *that* bad? My second main concern is with this particular model. It has this "120HZ judder reduction" technology, and my question is: is that the thing that makes everything you watch look like a soap opera? Because honestly, I've seen sets with that feature in Best Buy on display and it looks atrocious. I know that stores like Best Buy don't exactly have their sets calibrated to their highest potential and all, but its garbage. However, I found one review of this set (here) that seems to indicate that you can't turn the feature off. The paragraph in question is bold and is under the "Picture Quality Rating (Non-HD)" section. Does it make sense that you wouldn't be able to turn it off? Or am I misreading it, and what its saying is "You can turn it on and off, but you can't adjust it while its on?" If its the second part, then I really don't care, because it'll be permanently off. I have a 720p LCD in my bedroom and a 1080p Panasonic plasma in my livingroom, and this will be replacing the plasma. Are there any other things I should consider before moving to an edge-lit LED like this one? Thanks so much in advance. This is truly one of the best communities on the Internet.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings First off ... There is no holy grail perfect TV set. Expecting perfection is just plain unrealistic. All different TV technologies have their own strengths and weaknesses. Different people will perceive these weaknesses differently. Unacceptable to one person and no big deal to another. Buying and choosing a TV is like picking from 3 cups of poison. A,B,C gotta pick one ... The longer you live with any one tv, the more imperfect it becomes and you find more issues and idiosyncrasies with the tv. That's life. Edge lighting has its strengths over the normal LCD CCFL lighting and weaknesses too. Want thin without some of these weaknesses ... then buy local dimming LED ... and then you have to live with the weaknesses of that technology that are different than on the edge lit. Unless you can figure out a way for us to see the world through your eyes ... telling you if something is a big deal or not has little bearing. regards

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings I have not seen any samsung where the motion flow could not be turned off. I have a Sharp LCD unit from 2008 that has 120 hz processing and it cannot be turned off on that one. Strangely enough, there is no soap opera effect on that set. The TV seems to know when to use it and when not to in a seemless manner. regards

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Michael -- Your three cups of poison analogy is pretty spot on, I feel :) It certainly seems like that sometimes. I appreciate your input and perspective. Its something that I keep trying to remind myself, but the prospect of a shiny new TV always seems to get in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks