Samsung txn2745fp questions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by William Sitch, Sep 2, 2003.

1. William Sitch

William Sitch Auditioning

Hello all:

I have some questions about the Samsung txn2745fp television, purchased recently from Circuit City (upon great advice I read here).

I have sharpness set to 0, brightness turned way down, contrast down as well. Warm1 colours, 50/50 red/green.

1. The 1080i hackable option: I can't find an "enable 1080i" or "no 1080i" option in the service menu. Am I right in assuming that I need a 1080i source before this option becomes available? My DVD player is good for 480i or 480p, not sure where I can find a 1080i source. Was this changed for recent-build TVs?

2. I've noticed that the image appears to be more pixelated near the edges of the monitor. Images close to the centre of the screen appear very sharp and crisp, but I can discern the individual pixels out at the left and right edges. This is with 480p DVD input. Is this something I need to get used to? Got any suggestions to smooth it out?

3. While watching Akira and O Brother Where Art Thou, I noticed a strange blurring that ocurred after a still image was displayed and held for a moment. The image would be sharp when moving (or first appearing), but blurred just enough to make my GF notice (I noticed right away, but I was looking for it) after a second. The blurring ocurred in O Brother during the opening credits with the white letterbox around the names. In Akira it occured very often and definitely reduced my enjoyment of the movie. Has anyone seen this before? Suggestions?

Otherwise I'm very happy with the TV. I'm going to be calibrating it further along with my sound system sometime soon now.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Best,
    Will

2. Curtis Anderson

I don't have any answers for you William but I'm researching this set and would like to know if the 16:9 mode is automatic.

I'm also curious if anybody can answer your questions. I think it's really cool that a non-HD set can do 480p. Do DVDs looks as good on this set as they do on computer monitors?

3. Matt_Terpstra

Matt_Terpstra Auditioning

I recently purchased a Samsung TXN2745FP after doing quite a bit of research. The only other viable sub $500 alternative I found was a questionable Advent 1080i HDTV sold at Best Buy for $499. After comparing the two, and reading a number of reviews, I chose the Samsung. I was both pleased and suprised to learn that the $449 TXN2745FP which I had just purchased was essentially identical to Samsungs entire line of 27" CRT HDTV. They share the same DynaFlat HD 800 Line CRT's and chassis. The only notable variations in the higher end models are the inclusion of Samsung's d.Nie processor, and improved speakers/power supplies. Anyhow, the best part of all is, through the service menu, many users have been able enable the 1080i mode on this $449 television, making it one heck of deal. (Unfortunately, models made after Oct. 2003 have had their service menus "revised" by the man) Either way, the upshot is the newer "revised" versions appear to have had all the major issues the first gen units sufferd from resolved. (aside from the chronic red push and exaggerated color settings) Additionally, the service menu still allows you access to a comprehensive range of adjustment settings which allow you to make this one respectable looking TV if you invest enough time calibrating it. BBE, PIP and 3D Digital Comb Filter can still be enabled in the newest models, which just sweetens the pot. Naturally, with any piece of equipment your mileage may vary, but they seem to have worked out most of the bugs. Just my .02 Hope it helps clear things up.

4. John S

John S Producer

I don't see any reason not to use such sets as a platform for HDTV at all.

I had somebody with an older GE TV that had component 480p input lie so they could get Comcast HD, they seem quite happy with it. The installer, I was told tried 1080i w/no picture, then 720p again w/no picture, then 480p ahh picture, never said a word, then left. lol