Samsung TXM3097WHF , already a problem...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric_M, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I just picked up the Samsung TXM3097WHF 16:9 30 inch set.
    It looked pretty decent right out of the box but now I noticed there is a problem with it.

When watching cable TV I notice a blue vertical blue line on the left side of the screen. It will show up briefly then go away. It will come back up again eventually.

Perhaps the screen may be shifted to the right too much. I watched one movie on DVD on it so far and didn't notice it doing it on there.
    Again I just got the TV so haven't had too much time to play with it alot.

I should add I only noticed it when watching regular 4:3 TV in panorama mode, which is a stretch mode to avoid the side bars. If anyone knows if you can change those bars from gray to black that would be helpful too.

Anyway thanks in advance if anyone is able to help

2. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Also if anyone knows how to get into the service menu in a set like this, that would be most appreciated too.

3. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

to get in the service mode it should be (mute , 1 , 8 , 2 , power) all on the remote in that order. Trying adjusting the hwid (horizontal width) Add a notch or 2.

4. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Albert!

Anyway I did adjust the Hwid, though I think it was called something else which basically shifted the screen to the left. I suppose this may be different than hwid , which I assume is stretching the picture wider some?

At first the blue line was still there but not as far as out as before. I went back into the service menu and shifted a bit more to the left and so far it seems ok.

I am just a bit worried that it is more a defect than anything or is this simply a matter of the set being adjusted wrong in the factory?

5. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

it seems that the tv was set wrong at the factory. My samsung 27" digital tv had weird blue lines on it at the edges while using certain picture modes, and the overscan was set at like 3% (all tv's have overscan, basically it cuts off about 5% on each side and the top and bottom of the screen because it puts alot less strain on the tv and you get better geometry (straighter lines) with MORE overscan. Most people set it at 5-7% with a calibration disc like AVIA or Video Essentials.

6. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

Well I noticed the blue line appears on scenes where the screen will fade to black or if the screen is just dark to black in general. You only notice it on the left side of the screen. After shifting the picture some, it seems like it is ok however now the picture may be adjusted wrong still.

I don't have Avia or Video Essentials but I did a quick calibration with the Terminator 2 video and audio tests and in a scene where you see a circle and a square around it you notice the screen is shifted slightly moreso to the left making the screen uneven. However if I adjust it back towards the right to make it more or less even, then the blue line will show up again once I am watching tv since I shifted the picture back.

I notice this blue line mainly shows up only in Panaorama mode if that helps any.

How do you adjust the overscan to 5-7% when in the service menu or do you have to adjust that via AVIA or VE?

I am just not sure if I am going to just deal with it this way or return it and take a chance on another set that may either have different problems or what.

Seeing as you had the blue line too is your picture slightly shifted more to one side than the other too?

Thanks for your help so far.....

7. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

I also noticed upon some further inspection that the blue line will show up not only while watching Cable TV but with any AV input you use. It will not do it with component or S-Video.
    This is if you DON"T shift the screen over some to clear the blue line.

Also I noticed that when in AV1 mode where I have my VCR hooked up you get some black weird like vertical bars in the middle of the screen. They are more noticable when you hit stop on the VCR but you still see them a little while watching a movie

8. DavidSolomon

DavidSolomon Auditioning

Does anyone know if this issue was ever resolved? I just purchased a TXM3097 and have the same issue.

Thanks,
    David