Samsung TXM2796HF

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Bryant, Sep 27, 2002.

1. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

I would love to get this tv, but I have some questions. First, how exactly do I take advantage of the HDTV-capabilities?

Second, if I don't have an HDTV signal, can I still take advantage of progressive scan, 480p and such on my games and dvd's?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You need an ASTC decoder (or HD set top box). Several options:

If all of your HD source is from local, over the air channels, you can by a STB that only decodes OTA signals. Samsung makes a well-known OTA STB. You don’t necessarily need a special antenna, if you already are getting good, local reception, chances are that you will also get good local, digital reception.

There are cable STB that decode both SD and HD from cable and also decode OTA signals. This is useful if your cable system carries HD channels. Not many do.

There are satellite STB that decode both SD and HD and OTA signals. This is a good option if you have Dish or DirectTV service.

If you don’t have Dish or DirectTV, there are deals available that will give you free installation, providing that you sign up for one years programming.

If you are already a customer of DirectTV (I don’t know about Dish, but they are probably competitive), you can get a break on their elliptical dish (required for the HD channels) and get free installation, if you sign up for another year’s service.

DVDs look great on this set. I can’t comment on games.

3. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

Thanks. But do I need one of these boxes to just get progressive scan and other things to work?

4. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

No, the set top boxes are just for HD signals (1080i, 720p). FOr progressive scan games and DVDs you don't need the set top box (although for the Xbox you would need to get the high defintion kit, it's around $20).

5. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

Cool, I already have that(the hi-def kit). So, a progressive scan dvd player and games would work as long as they are hooked up with their respective compnent cables, correct?

6. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

Yep, just plug in the component cables and you're all set.

7. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

8. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

In all practicality yes, you need an HDTV-ready set to take advantage of a device that outputs 480p. Samsung did make a line of sets that they called EDTV-ready a few years ago. It essentially handled a 480p signal in addition to the usual 480i NTSC signal. I'm actually surprised more manufacturers didn't come out with a 4:3 480p capable set that also did a 16:9 squeeze/compression since I think there would have been some demand for these. But I can see why they didn't - with HDTV soon coming down the pipeline, they've devoted resources to making full blown HDTV-ready sets.

cheers,

--tom