What's new

Samsung TXM2790F TV, calibration question (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
After much consideration I have decided that this is the best value 27" flat screen available. The 16X9 mode in a TV that costs only 549 canadian really sealed the deal. Also, I have heard that the Quality of Samsung products is really quite good these days.

I have a question about calibrating the colour and brightness and so on. I want to do it all without entering service mode or anything like that. I am not comfortable doing that, and don't want the hassle. Also, I am not wanting to buy a calibration DVD or anything.

Can anyone point me to a good resource for calibrating TVs wihtout using any kind of extra "tool", or better yet, maybe someone has this TV or a similar Samsing model and can simple tell me what setting you recomend.

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
Jonathan,

Settings can vary from TV to TV. Someone can have the same Samsung that has a great picture, but when you use the same settings, it doesn't look the same. First thing you should do is turn the contrast(Picture)down. Somewhere under 50%.
I would really suggest either buying the Avia DVD or see if a local video store rents it. It's money well spent!

Randy T

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One can also buy the Sound & Vision setup DVD for ~1/2 the cost of Avia--made by the same people. This is probably good enough for people who won't touch service menus.

Renting is a good idea too. But if one is really that constrained, there's always the THX Optimode setup patterns on various Disney DVDs. Those patterns were made specifically for those movies and don't seem as good as the corresponding patterns on Avia (and probably S&V), but they're better than nothing. I found that black level (ie. brightness) won't go as low w/ the THX Optimode setups on Toy Story and Lilo & Stitch as w/ Avia.

YMMV...

_Man_

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
How much do these programs cost then?

The things is, I am neither and audiophile, nor a videophile, I just love movies. So if I end up with a less than "Perfect" calibration that is ok with me.

So it still stands, if anyone has a same or similar model samsung that you have calibrated well, please don't hesitate to share how you have it set up.

Also I have a question about a setting called "Digital noise reduction" , is it better to have this feature turned on or off and why?

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
i watch my samsung tv with the digital noise reduction on...it makes a difference imho especially on most cable channels

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The S&V costs about as much as a lower price DVD. I think you can find it online for ~$15. The Avia will cost more like $35.

_Man_

Alex J.

Auditioning
I've got the same tv and I have one piece of advice for you:
GET IT CALIBRATED!
Gregg Loewen did a great job (from this forum) 6 months ago. I've never look at another tv in the same way again. It's THE definitive way to watch movies in all their colourful glory.:emoji_thumbsup:
Trust me, you'll be glad you did. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks