Samsung TXM-3096WHF vs. HCM-4215W

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LloydM, Jan 6, 2003.

1. LloydM

LloydM Agent

OK guys. Im ready to make the first purchase in building my HT. Best Buy is having 18 months 0% interest on all tv's 299 and up. I went there with every intention of purchasing the TXM-3096WHF 30" for 999. However I noticed that the HCM-4215W 42" was only 1499. I also noticed the Toshiba 42H82 42" for the same price as the Samsung. If you guys were in my shoes would you get one of the bigger tv's? I also plan to add the TOS-4800 DVD player to this setup because they do not stock the Panasonic DVDRP82. And I just cant pass up the 0% financing.

My plans for purchase as of now are the Samsung TXM-3096WHF 30" tv and the TOS-4800 DVD player. That is unless you guys convince me otherwise. Thanks for your help.

Lloyd

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It all depends on your preference: RPTVs have very different characteristics than do direct view TVs.

Decide what is most important and go with that.

For me a big picture was not so important as being able to have a wide angle of view (due to my room configuration the TV is set to one side of the main viewing area. Also our room has two walls that are essentially windows, resulting in a lot of ambient light during the day. Finally my wife hates bulky boxes.

So a direct view TV was an easy choice. Once we had bought a Sony for this room, it was an easy decision to get the 30” Samsung for our bedroom.

I think that you can’t go wrong with this set from a price perspective. But if the big picture is most important, go with a RPTV. You can’t beat this from a square inch per dollar perspective.

3. LloydM

LloydM Agent

OK. Plans have changed, but dont they always????

After doing a lot of reading last night, I think that I would be happier with the Tos-42H82 for $1499 and the Pan-dvdrp62 for $129. Ill be going to BB on friday to pick them up with 18 months 0% financing. I also recieved a preferred customer coupon in the mail for Jan 10-13. That is going to give me an extra 10% off of the merchandise. Basically I am buying the TV and getting the DVD player and component cable for free. On top of no interest I cannot pass this deal up.

Would anyone do any different? I have til Friday to change my mind again. lol

Lloyd

4. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Lloyd:

Sounds like a sweet deal.

I have the Panasonic rp62 .. picked it up a few weeks ago and am looking to pickup that same Samsung 30"

How did you get this 10% off coupon?

5. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Hey Aurel,

Be aware the 3096/3097 Samsung 30 inch sets do have a problem picture wise. They have these transparent lines that go down the middle that are more apparent if you were to turnup the brightness. Samsung denies knowing of any such problem and technicians were clueless on what to do about it. This is the one major flaw to what is an otherwise very nice picture.
    It is more visible when using component or s-video than just standard cable TV.

6. LloydM

LloydM Agent

I received the 10% coupon in the mail. It is part of a special "preferred customer" weekend for the days of Jan 10-13. The only problem is that the back of the coupon says "not valid with any other offer." Im not sure if they will let me use this with the 18 month 0% financing offer or not. [​IMG] I guess I will find out on Friday when I go to get the tv and dvd player. [​IMG]

7. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

So Lloyd ..have you picked up the set?
    Tell us how it is .. are you happy with it?

8. LloydM

LloydM Agent

Aurel... I struck a deal. They let me use the 10% off coupon so I picked up the TOS-42H82 for 1349 with 0% financing. They didnt have any in stock, so im not able to pick the TV up until the 16th, but im sure that I will be more than happy when I do get it.

I also changed my mind about DVD players as well. I picked up the PAN-DVDCP72 from J&R. Ive heard that this player has the same internals as the RP82, but without the coax output. Can anyone confirm this?

Lloyd