What's new

Samsung TXM 2796 HDTV - does it squeeze progressive signals? (1 Viewer)

JasonRH

Second Unit
Not much to elaborate on. Just thinking of buying this set and wanted to be sure that it performs the raster squeeze on progressive sources. Some sets lock into full mode, which I want to avoid. Thanks a lot.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I don't know about this years models, I doubt they changed in this area, but I have a TSL3294HF and I can ASSURE you that it most certainly does the squeeze on progressive DVD cause I always do it on widescreen Dvds

JasonRH

Second Unit
Excellent, thanks for the news. Just to be sure, are you outputting a progressive signal from a progressive dvd player? Just want to make sure you're not confusing widescreen material with automatically being progressive from any dvd player. Thanks again.

p.s. how do you like the set? i.e. how's the geometry, color etc...?

Anyone else have any concrete data on the newer models?

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
My friend has that TV and it does do the squeeze for progressive signals. It's not automatic like the Sony but you just hit the P. size button and you're all set.

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm... I just realized that my update to that thread never posted....
I originally had the Sony hs500 on order but I found out that it could take up to 6 weeks for them to get them in stock. The guy at Tweeter offered me a floor model of last year's Panny 47" rptv for $1500 with a 5 year warranty included. I came back here to ask about it and, along with everyone telling me not to even think about a floor model, I found out that I could get this year's model for $1510 shipped from OneCall. I ended up picking up the 47wx42 from Circuit City (Tweeter wouldn't work with the price and I would have needed the extra white glove delivery from one call). So far I love it, it's the first big screen I've owned and I'm really impressed. In the end I'm glad I had some trouble trying to pick a direct view set. I had wanted a rear projection for some time but I couldn't convince my girfriend that it was the way to go, the back and forth over the 32" TVs gave me more time to work on her :D.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Trust me, I can assure you that not only is my DVD player outputting a progressive signal, but so is my XBOX.
I love my set, I got an awesome deal on it when I got it back in March.
Geometry, like any other direct view out of the box, needs a little work. Nothing that AVia wont help you with.
Color is GREAT.
Dish Network looks good on most channels, but the TV really shines on a good DVD ( I have no 1080i right now).
Everyone who comes over to watch it is blown away, especially on a good transfer like 5th Element superbit or Blade II
You will definately need Avia or VE to tune it up properly (any set needs this anyway)

JasonRH

Second Unit
Evan,
Nice choice. New Panny wides also have defeatable SVM (last year's model required work inside the set, I think). I would choose that set as well but I wanted a Tv for games also, and the RPTV isn't the best choice for that. My goal is to get the 27 inch samsung for a bedroom set and later get the Panny you're talking about. I don't like the stretch modes much though :frowning: Glad you're happy with the set :)
Mikey,
Thanks for the update :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks