Samsung TX-P2670WH HDTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RudyN, May 11, 2004.

1. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/na...elTab=Features

We just recently starting selling this tv where I work(Target). Anyone have this tv or know anything about it? These are the specs from the website:

Features

TV/VIDEO:

Built-in HD/Digital Tuner (ATSC/QAM/NTSC) ? Tunes & processes 720p, 1080i, 480p, and 480i signals
    Premiere Series Sleek Simple Design With Front Panel Control Buttons
    16:9 Wide Screen Aspect Ratio
    Native Resolution 1080i/480p
    Dual HD Supports 720p and 1080i HD Signals
    DynaFlat? HD Anti-Distortion, Anti-Glare Flat Picture Tube
    Finer Pixel Dot Pitch Flat CRT Improves Picture Resolution and Brightness
    Pro Picture 3-Stage Video Correction
    - Total DSP (Digital Signal Processing) Analog to Digital Signal Enhanced
    - Pro Chip Plus Converts all Analog Signals to Flicker-Free Progressive Scan
    - 8 Bit 20 MHz 3D Y/C Comb Filter
    Velocity Scan Modulation Improves Edge Detail
    3:2 Pull Down Film to Video Frame Rate Correction
    Check HDTV Reception with a Built-in Digital Signal Strength Meter
    Convenient Front Panel Control Key Buttons for Accessing Menu Settings Without the Remote
    Universal Remote Control
    Easy Navigation with Translucent On-Screen Display
    Screen Filling Modes & Vertical Compression for Anamorphic DVDs
    Digital Program Guide (where available) AUDIO FEATURES
    20-Watt Side Speaker Audio System with Sound Presets

Is it worth the $700 price tag? What else would I need to view HD signals? It would also be used to play Xbox(720p) games. Pros/cons? Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Scott Pressisa

Scott Pressisa Auditioning

I do think that this tv is worth its $700 price tag. It has some very good features that previous models did not have. It has 2 component video inputs for a dvd player and an xbox, it has a dvi input that some higher end dvd players with 1080i upconvergence use or some DirecTv HD boxes use, and it has a fiber optic output to go into a surround sound stereo. It is worth having a widescreen now because the programming will move that way soon enough and of course this will be very nice if you watch a lot of dvd movies. Now.. to answer some of your questions. It will be great for XBOX but you do need to upgrade the the HD pack (go for monster, not the microsoft version). Some games are already made in the HD widescreen like Amped 2 and many of the racing games. The only thing that does suck is some of the older games like halo are not and you have to stretch out the 4:3 picture to 16:9 to make it fit the screen. The other good thing is videogames do great on tube televisions. With projection televisions they are known to cause problems such as early gun convergence issues. Now for your last question..what you need to see HDTV. Well that all depends on your signal. If you have cable then it may be possible that the built in tuner in the tv will take the place of the HD cable box that you would otherwise rent. You still do need to pay the cable company for the HD programming though and now there are only a few HD programs out. If you have DirecTV like me than the built in tuner in the tv does nothing for you. You still need to buy a $300 direcTv HD box and also have to upgrade your programming package. One very nice feature of the tv is that it does have a built in ATSC tuner as well. This means if you have a decent antenna and you are somewhere fairly close to a broadcast tower than you can pick up some local HD programs for free. And last but not least if you work at target i'm sure you get a discount and since the retailers buy this for around $520 you may be able to buy it for around $530-$550 like i'm gonna get if for from the company that I work for. Good luck on your decision.

haha.. just saw the date this was posted... guess i was a little late.

3. Scott Pressisa

Scott Pressisa Auditioning

I do think that this tv is worth its $700 price tag. It has some very good features that previous models did not have. It has 2 component video inputs for a dvd player and an xbox, it has a dvi input that some higher end dvd players with 1080i upconvergence use or some DirecTv HD boxes use, and it has a fiber optic output to go into a surround sound stereo. It is worth having a widescreen now because the programming will move that way soon enough and of course this will be very nice if you watch a lot of dvd movies. Now.. to answer some of your questions. It will be great for XBOX but you do need to upgrade the the HD pack (go for monster, not the microsoft version). Some games are already made in the HD widescreen like Amped 2 and many of the racing games. The only thing that does suck is some of the older games like halo are not and you have to stretch out the 4:3 picture to 16:9 to make it fit the screen. The other good thing is videogames do great on tube televisions. With projection televisions they are known to cause problems such as early gun convergence issues. Now for your last question..what you need to see HDTV. Well that all depends on your signal. If you have cable then it may be possible that the built in tuner in the tv will take the place of the HD cable box that you would otherwise rent. You still do need to pay the cable company for the HD programming though and now there are only a few HD programs out. If you have DirecTV like me than the built in tuner in the tv does nothing for you. You still need to buy a $300 direcTv HD box and also have to upgrade your programming package. One very nice feature of the tv is that it does have a built in ATSC tuner as well. This means if you have a decent antenna and you are somewhere fairly close to a broadcast tower than you can pick up some local HD programs for free. And last but not least if you work at target i'm sure you get a discount and since the retailers buy this for around $520 you may be able to buy it for around $530-$550 like i'm gonna get if for from the company that I work for. Good luck on your decision.

haha.. just saw the date this was posted... guess i was a little late.

4. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    I did end up buying this tv, but got it at Best Buy instead because they had a 2yr 0% financing. I love it. No HD yet as Comcast doesn't offer it in my area, but the Xbox and dvds look great. Need to look into getting an antenna for local HD channels. Thanks for your response, Scott.

5. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    I did end up buying this tv, but got it at Best Buy instead because they had a 2yr 0% financing. I love it. No HD yet as Comcast doesn't offer it in my area, but the Xbox and dvds look great. Need to look into getting an antenna for local HD channels. Thanks for your response, Scott.

6. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

This is a really solid little set for the price. I think on the tubes Samsung has really been getting good, and DLP too of course. Their CRT Rear Projos on the other hand, leave some to be desired.

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

This is a really solid little set for the price. I think on the tubes Samsung has really been getting good, and DLP too of course. Their CRT Rear Projos on the other hand, leave some to be desired.