What's new

Samsung TV Setup (1 Viewer)

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm going to try to call Panasonic later on in the day and see what they say. I couldn't notice a big difference in quality when I was in the store but I popped in a DVD last night and could definitely tell that the squeeze on the Samsung made it look better. I have my DVD player (Panasonic rp-62) hooked up with component cables. I tried switching between progressive and interlaced and neither one opened up the 16:9 option. I've also tried a few different discs (Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter) just to make sure it wasn't a weird flag on one of the discs. I even tried to switch to component input #2 but there was no change.
I've also noticed that there is a definite curve to straight lines at the bottom of the screen. I originally thought it was just me but I measured it and it's definitely there, falls at the edges and rises in the middle. I called to see if someone could be sent out to fix the problem but, because I didn't buy the service plan yet (I'm not sure if I want it or not), they can only do an exchange. Also, according to the guy that I talked to on the phone, all Panasonic flat screens have that same problem. He told me it was because the actual tube isn't flat, just the glass on the front. I don't know if he knows what he's talking about or not but I'm going to go check out the floor models at Best Buy and Circuit City later today - if they have the same problem then I'll know he was right.
I think I might end up with the Sony once this is all done... I'm oh so glad I paid the extra $40 for delivery. I live on the 3rd floor, there's no way I could be this picky if I had to carry these things up on my own :D.
Edit: All it says in the manual is that the aspect button on the remote can be used to change the size of the picture to match the programming format - it doesn't mention what type of source etc. Also, there's an addendum to the owner's manual that I completely missed before but it says that that the aspect buttone does absolutely nothing in TV and cable mode but brings up the guide if the remote is in dbs mode. It seems like Panasonic left the option in there (on the remote and in the menu) but chose to turn it off completely :angry:.

JasonRH

Second Unit
I must say this is strange. I, personally, would not pay for an HDTV that didn't do the squeeze on material like dvd's. The added resolution makes such a difference.

As far as all flat screens having geometry problems that is, unfortunately, mostly true. However, I had 2 Wegas that had excellent geometry (but bad color purity) so you shouldn't just 'settle' for it. Expect some bad geometry but don't settle for it based on the fact that most of them have it. Believe me, once you notice a curved line it'll distract you more and more, depending on how severe it is. At least that's what it does to me. Your best bet is to try a set out in the store before you buy it.
With the Wega you know it will do the squeeze and there is a ton of material online on how to tweak Wegas via the service menu. That's the plus of Sony.

The geometry can be adjusted in the service menu and perhaps by the deflection yoke, if the tech knows how.

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I checked out the Panasonic at Best Buy and Circuit City and both had the same type of curve to the line. The one at Tweeter was exactly the same (You're exactly right - I didn't notice it when I was looking at it at first but now that I know it's there it's all I can see...) so I guess it's just how this model is. I asked about having a tech come out and adjust the geometry (I'd do it on my own but I really don't want to on a brand new set) and they said, since it's the same on different sets, a tech wouldn't be able to do much. I don't really know if that's true or not but I didn't feel like arguing, the lack of the squeeze in any way (even though Panasonic said it was there) has turned me away from this one. They offered to sell the Sony 32hs500 for the same price so I decided I'll give that one a shot and see how it goes. The Sony is out of stock right now but the order is in, I should have it within the next week or two.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Evan,
If the Sony's the same price then I would definately go for that set. You can feed it an interlaced signal and it will autosqueeze (cool feature).
Plus, there's a ton of material online about how to adjust the geometry, red push, etc... in order to get the best picture.
Keep in mind that the Sony's have the same type of geometry and color purity problems as all other models though, so I'd still try it in store before you have it set up at home.
Let me know how it goes after you recieve the next set.

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
I'll definitely let you know when it gets here, hopefully it won't be too long. I could have adjusted the geometry on the Panasonic but the lack of the squeeze really started to bother me. Hopefully the Sony won't have too many problems but I've already found a bunch of sites that'll help me tweak out any minor issues.
Thanks again for all the help, I can't believe how difficult it's been just buying a tv :crazy:.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks