Samsung TV Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Cas, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Kevin_Cas

Kevin_Cas Agent

Hi. I just purchased a new Samsung TXM-3296HF. Could someone tell me(or direct me to related thread-I couldn't find by searching) what exactly would be good steps to follow to "set up" my television? I know that sounds vague, so let me narrow it down a bit. I have already used Avia to make some basic video adjustments(black/white level, tint/color, etc.). What I really need help with is the service menu. I want to know how to access it, and what exactly i should do when I get to it. I heard something about how disabling SVM(?) is important? Also, I am confused about exactly how the "vertical squeeze"(16x9/v-compression,wtc.) mode works. Am I supposed to manually change the picture mode to "wide" for every widescreen DVD I watch, or is it detected automatically? I did "tell" my DVD player that my "TV Shape" output is "16x9 wide" and my Progressive 4:3 output to "Full"(is this what im supposed to do???). I have a Toshiba SD5700 DVD player connected with BetterCables Silver Serpent Component cables, if that helps. Any and all info that can be provided to me would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the clumsiness of the post, I am just unsure of all the exact terminology and procedures, and obviously eager to get the most out of my television. After browsing around for awhile, I know that this is the best place to get friendly, expert advice(It's information I read here that led me to purchase the aforementioned three items). Thanks in advance.

2. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the 3297 this past week (although it's going back because of a few problems [​IMG]). How do you like it so far?
    To turn off SVM you need to get into the service menu by turning the tv off and hitting 1,8,2,mute, power. When the tv comes back on you'll have a few different menus to choose from. The SVM setting is in video adjust 2 - it's listed as vm level and setting it to 0 will turn off svm. (I was told that most are set at 2 and some people only turn it down to 1 so I guess it depends on the individual set and your personal preferences.) If you don't know what the other things in the service menu do you really shouldn't play around with them, you can seriously screw up your tv that way (and if you do change them make sure you write down the initial values first).
    This site should explain the anamorphic squeeze. You only need to switch the TV to wide mode when you're watching anamorphic dvds, anything else will look like it's been squished.

3. Kevin_Cas

Kevin_Cas Agent

I cannot get into the service menu using that button combo. I tried inputting it at fast, slow, and medium speeds, by only quickly pressing the buttons, other times holding them down, etc. I tried it several different ways, and each time, my TV only turns on normally. Any advice? Should I unhook all connections or something like that before attempting to access the Service menu(grasping at straws)??? IN response to your question. I generally like the TV so far, espically when watching DVD's. I dont have an HDTV converter, so Ive only got digital cable hooked up. The signal is not all that great, so as I expected, the internal line doubler on the TV emphasizes some things I rather it didnt. Most notable, when watching cable tv, I can notice prominent jagged edges(aliasing) on straight surfaces. However, as I understand it, turning off(or lowering) SVM should help with this problem, so im anxious to see how it works. If only I could get to that menu! The only other problem(if you could even call it that) is, in the absence of an imput signal the is a rather prominent, blue/purple line running down the entire length of the left side of the screen. When I am getting a picture, however, it seems to get pushed to the side, or else I dont notice it. Other than that the other complaint I have is with the noise(that cheesy digital crap) the TV makes when I turn it off or on, and I wish the menn layout was more polished(similar to that of the Sony's). These things are not enough to make me want to take it back, and I passed the return period anyway. Thanks again for your advice! Also, what TV's are you considering now that the 3297 is going back? It's too late for me to switch, but I'd be interested in knowing what you experiences are with whatever you choose instead.

4. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Evan,
    Just wondering what kind of problems you are having with the set that is making you take it back?

I'm thinking of getting a samsung direct view so I'd like to know of any potential common defects. Thanks a lot.

5. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Kevin,
    Try mute,1,8,2, power (with the set powered off, of course).

6. Kevin_Cas

Kevin_Cas Agent

Ah, simple mistake. I didn't think to put the mute at the beginning of the combination. Thanks for your imput. All the same it works now. Other than disabling SVM, does anyone know of other recommended setting(s) to change? Is there a guide to reccommended Samsung direct View service menu adhustments somewhere, maybe on the internet(other than ordering the service manual, which I dont have and dont know how to get)? I am worried about overscan, especially(Some of the words at the bottom of the screen seem to be cut-off at the sides). Thanks in advance, again.

7. John Chevalier

John Chevalier Stunt Coordinator

I set VML to 1 and I noticed a huge improvement in those jagged edges you were talking about. I dont even notice them anymore and before, I really noticed them. SO yeah, I recommend it. After you leave the service menu, you have to readjust your contrast and things like that. But I'm really wanting to get a service manual for mine. It's a PCL5415r and it's a nice TV. I'm just too lazy to get the manual right now.

8. Evan Hartnett

Doh!! Sorry about that, I even reread my post and didn't notice that I put mute after the 182 :b .
    My original problem was really, really bad geometry, everything was pointing toward the middle of the right side. I called to have it replaced but in the few days I've had the TV I've noticed a few other things that made me just want to return it.
    Every so often random colors will flash across the bottom left hand corner of the screen, I have no idea why it's doing that but it's really annoying. I don't think it's magnetic interference becuase I had another set in the same spot and had no problems at all.
    The picture (through the component inputs) is far off to the left, the first letter of a lot of words are cut off when watching DVDs or playing video games through the component inputs. When I switch to the s-video input everything is shifted to the right [​IMG]. I thought I could fix that through the service menu by adjusting the overscan etc. but if I shift it so the compnent input is ok then it shifts the s-video way too far over (and the other way around).
    I had originally been thinking about buying the Sony 32hs500 to replace the Samsung. The guy at Sears told me that he would sell it to me for $1299 because of the problems I had with the Samsung (and Sears delivery). I just got home from Sears and it looks like that's not going to happen, the sales guy told me he never said that and there is no way he would sell that set for anything less than %1499 (he just told me he would drop the price a few days ago). Well, I don't like being called a liar so this TV is going back and Sears isn't going to get my business.
    After I left Sears I went over to Tweeter etc. to check out what they had, I now have it narrowed down to the Panasonic 32HX42 and the Sony 32hs500. (They told me they would be able to work with the prices on both, I think they just wanted to make Sears look bad [​IMG].) I like the picture on both but I think the Sony may be the one I choose, I like the fact that it has DVI and the line doubler can be turned off. Plus, the Panasonic doesn't do the anamorphic squeeze and I don't know if I want to get a 4:3 set that doesn't have that option. The one other option that I have in this price range is to go to circuit city and pick up the 36" Hitachi 36UDX10S... there's too many options, I'm driving my girlfriend nuts [​IMG].
    Wow, sorry that was so long.

9. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Evan,
    Thanks for the update. You must have gotten a lemon because most of the reports on Samsungs state that they have excellent geometry, for the most part.
    By the way, The Panny HX models DO have the squeeze feature and the Sony HS500 does NOT have a defeatable line doubler. Just thought I'd let you know so you don't decide on one or the other based on those facts. Let us know how it goes[​IMG]
    Kevin,
    Check out the Samsung section over at hometheaterspot.com. You'll find a lot more info on specific service menu adjustments.

10. Evan Hartnett

11. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Evan,
    The 3 settings on the Sony make little visible difference, except for cinemotion, which is used when watching film-based material. It has 3:2 pulldown in that mode. Interlaced and progressive are indistinguishable to me.

I'll see if I can get some info on the panny.

12. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

I just read some posts on the Panasonic forums and it appears that the feature is still there, it's just not automatic (ID-1 detection). I would assume that the remote has a button labelled 'aspect' or something, judging by other Panasonic sets. Also, the squeeze may not work if you feed it a progressive signal. Try feeding it an interlaced signal and see if you can select it.

13. Evan Hartnett

Thanks a lot Jason. I'm going to go check out these sets tonight and (hopefully) make a decision - I really appreciate your help.

14. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Evan,
    No problem. Let me know how it goes and what you decide on/your impressions. Later.

15. Evan Hartnett

(Sorry for the thread hijack Kevin [​IMG])
    I decided to go with the Panasonic.
    I checked the Hitachi and couldn't get over the curved screen. I know most people say there's really no difference in image quality between the two but I could definitely tell that the image curved along with the curve in the screen.
    I went to Tweeter to check out the Panasonic and the Sony and just preferred the picture on the Panasonic. I asked about the anamorphic squeeze on the Panny and, because the sales guy didn't know the answer, they called Panasonic right from the sales floor. According to Panasonic this set does the squeeze on progressive DVDs, but we couldn't figure out how to get it to work. I had the Sony and the Panny side by side and really couldn't notice any quality diffference between the progressive, unsqeezed image on the Panasonic and the progressive, squeezed image on the Sony.
    The deciding factor between the two was that the Panasonic seemed to handle sd material better than the Sony (also, my girlfriend liked the way the Panasonic looked and didn't like the Sony - big plus [​IMG]). I ended up getting a good deal on the set and, because Sears is picking up the Samsung today, they agreed to deliver the Panasonic this afternoon.

16. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Evan, did you come across the Toshiba 32HFX72 or 32HF72 while at Tweeter? Just wondering if you had compared the Sony and Panasonic to the Toshiba model. I've only been casually following the HDTV tv market this year but this week an el cheapo Sharp tv we had in the basement workout area died. It was only 20 months old - power supply seems to have died on it. Anyhow, I'm now more seriously considering moving the our 2 year old Toshiba 27A40 into the basement workout area and replacing it with a flat screen HDTV-ready set in the den - although we have no HDTV sources at the moment, just 480p dvd. This latter point makes me hesitant to throw the $$$ at the problem, so to speak since I don't want our mediocre analog cable to become unwatchable on a bigger higher resolution set.

cheers,

--tom

17. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Evan,
    Good choice. I think the new Panasonics also have a defeatable SVM, which was not present in last years model.

18. Evan Hartnett

Jason - Yep, one of the things I really liked was that the velocity modulation was a menu option, it can be switched off with a few buttons and I don't have to go into the service menu.

I haven't been able to get it to do the squeeze though, it's greyed out whenever I try to use that option. I've tried both 480p and 480i sources and neither seems to trigger it to switch on. I read somewhere that it will only squeeze 1080i sources but I'll have to try that in a few months when I can afford a tuner. Either way it's not a really big deal, the picture is beautiful on DVDs.

Thomas - I actually looked at the Toshiba in Best Buy and wasn't too impressed with the picture. I'm not exactly sure what it was but something didn't look as good as either the Panasonic or the Sony. Then again, it was in the middle of best buy with just a few eyeballed calibrations so I may have been able to make it better if I had more time. My father had a Toshiba set for a little while and it was nothing but problems. He had it replaced 3 times and eventually gave up and went with mitsubishi. I know that's not really normal for Toshiba but (no matter how irrational it is) I can't see myself getting a Toshiba TV.

19. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

If the Panasonic can't do the squeeze on 480p sources then I guess it's off of my list. Since the only other option is 4:3 letterboxed downconversion by the dvd player, there's no advantage for me to own the set over a cheaper decent analog model, since I won't be getting HDTV via cable or over the air in the near future. It's amazing to me that Panasonic would have this as a "feature"? Is there any technical reason why they'd set things up like this?

cheers,

--tom

20. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Evan,
    That's very surprising. I thought for sure it would do the squeeze on 480p and/or 480i material. I know you've probably tried this to death but are you absolutely sure? The manual should tell you. Maybe you need a component connection etc...??? That would move the Panny off of my list as well. The squeeze makes a very noticeable improvement in viewing anamorphic material.