Samsung TSN3084WHD has DVI!!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Biff, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Biff

Biff Agent

I took delivery of a Samsung TSN3084WHD - the mid-range 30" widescreen model with the built-in HD tuner. I bought this particular model because Consumer Reports gave a sister model a good review and because it had the built-in HD tuner.

What it DIDN'T include - according to all descriptions on the Web that I was able to find - was a DVI input. I came close to not buying this model because I realized that it might be obsolete in a few years because it lacked this feature...

...so imagine my surprise this morning when the set was delivered and the delivery guys slipped it out of the box and there - big as life! - was a DVI input connection.

As I bought this set for my bedroom, and not as an actual component to my 'real' home theater, I am extraordinarily pleased with all the tests that I've put the set through in the past 4 1/2 hours. I'm able to receive 6 HDTV channels with the Terk TV55 antenna, DVD's look fantastic and although the set lacks the fine tuning controls that I'm accustomed to having with my Sony KV-40XBR800, the color adjustments are more than acceptable for a bedroom HDTV set.

I don't know if this model is widely available. Because I'm not an ultra high-end user, I usually buy my A/V gear from Crutchfield but I was only able to find this model available on the Best Buys website.

Anyway - for anyone looking for a good quality 30" widescreen HDTV, this model offers a number of bells & whistles that aren't even available on sets costing $400-900 more and the image quality is extremely good right out of the box.

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Biff, congrats on your new bedroom set & it sounds like a nice one. If you go on Best Buys website & click the picture of the set you will get photos of the set, the back panel, remote & aux. inputs. But I don't know if Best Buy screwed up or not? but the picture of the back jacks shows no DVI input? That model Samsung though has been a hard set to find so I'm wondering if maybe the set was delayed for release until they addred the DVI input? Maybe it might help some people on this forum though if they knew when your set was made just incase their are some sets out there with the same model number that don't have the DVI input on them. Just a thought & enjoy your new set. [​IMG]

3. Biff

Biff Agent

You know - you may be right... I was under the impression that this was actually an "older" model for a number of reasons: 1) because of the Samsung model numbering scheme; 2) because it seemed to be available ONLY from the Best Buy website and was discounted, that it was likely an out-of-production model and that Best Buy had just bought the remaining inventory and was just moving them out.

But if this IS a new model, maybe Samsung DID pull a quick bit of re-engineering to include the DVI port. I emailed a message to Samsung late yesterday telling them that I was puzzled by the lack of mention of the port but extremely happy to have it - Samsung usually responds to email messages with 24 hours, so, if I do get a reply with an explanation, I'll pass it along.

(And I did manage to pull in a number of OTA HDTV signals last night using the built-in tuner and the Terk TV55 antenna - PICTURE PERFECT and astounding sound!)

4. Biff

Biff Agent

One other thing...

I just went to the Best Buy website and took a look at the port photo (I didn't know that the photo was there - I always check out rear views of Crutchfield's website, but didn't know that there were alternate views on the BB site).

Anyway, the photo of the various ports looks NOTHING like those on the TSN3084WHD that was delivered to me! My set not only has a DVI port but an optical output as well...

...curiouser and curiouser!

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Maybe Best Buy just put up the pictures from the other Samsung 30" without the built in HDTV tuner? On most of Best Buys products they do have a box that says "Photos" like Crutchfield & that set din't list any photos & I just happened to click on the picture of the set & some came up.
    So maybe the photos are wrong. Oh well, sounds like a nice set & have you tried the Digital Audio Output on it yet? I would like to know how that output works because I know some of the Zenith sets had a lag in the audio when using the Digital Audio Output so the Sound & Picture din't match up. It also sounds like the HDTV tuner is a good one & not some cheap version they just threw in.

6. Biff

Biff Agent

I know that there is a similar 30" Samsung model - the TXN3071WHF - and, indeed, the photos of the input/output's are exactly the same (except one seems to have a darker grey appearance).

And, yes, the digital audio output works wonderfully - as I was flipping around OTA HDTV programming last night, I had it connected to my receiver and enjoyed beautiful crisp and clear surround sound.

I also visited the Samsung site today and they have a link to Amazon for online purchase of the TSN3084WHD and, although the "list" price on Amazon is $100 more than that listed on the Best Buy site, the discounted price is the same (I won't quote prices as I'm uncertain of the etiquette of quoting pricing on this board and anyone interested could find the prices at Best Buy or Amazon).

Because I'm disabled and confined to bed 2-3 days out of the week, this set is just great for me. I'm in an apartment right now - building a new house and my old house sold FAR more quickly than I expected. So now I'm investigating the cable service in my new neighborhood and possible satellite services and technologies - the only "bad" thing about HDTV is that you become addicted to it: it's interesting to watch a movie on HBO HD, for instance, and slip in the same movie on DVD and flip between the two - and notice that as great as DVD is, it's just not HD...

7. Biff

Biff Agent

I received a reply from Samsung today saying that they would be updating their website to reflect the changes made to the TSN3084WHD during production.

(Also, of some note, if you're interested in this set - Amazon has the manual available for download in pdf format and, yes, it's the same version that I received with the set and does, indeed, include discussion of the DVI and optical out ports.)

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

So it sounds like there might be some sets out there with the same model number that don't have the DVI Input. What was the date that your set was made? Thanks.

9. Biff

Biff Agent

Bill-

I suspect that that might be the case... while the model number and serial number are conveniently located on the side of the set (odd, but convenient) I'm physically unable to move the set to see if I can find a date of manufacture.

I've a friend coming over this weekend to put the set on a swivel base that arrived after the delivery of the set - I'll see if there's any sort of date (even if cleverly encrypted) on the set.

Two OTHER ports on the set - not pictured on the Best Buy website - is a "service port" and an s-video input (and there are two component ports and two antenna ports - while the photo shows only one of each).

(I see that there is an "IMG" tag here - I could snap a quick digital pic of the "real" ports on the rear of the set and post it, if anyone is genuinely interested).

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Biff, no big deal & you don't have to go out of your way if it's going to be a lot of trouble for you. If you still have the box that it came in it might be easier to find the "DATE" on the box than going behind the set. Just a thought & again it sounds like a nice set & enjoy it. [​IMG]