Samsung TS160 HD DirecTV reciever and trying to program my Marantz remote...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rachael B, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I got this box and I like it OK except for the remote capacity. It's codes won't transfer to my Marantz AV9000's programable remote properly. It's seems the commands work maybe once if at all and then fade away. Does the TS160 have some strange everchanging remote code. I may return it over this issue. I'd like my system remote to operate the bleeding thang, it's lighted and convient. What's up here??? This is so strange, to me...

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I just got the 360 (which is identical to the 160 in terms of remote codes). It works perfectly well with a OFA remote with just standard remote codes. I don't know why you would be having problems, but you can get more info at

www.remotecentral.com

SMK

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Steven, thanks for the link to Remote Central. I've been to Remote Central many times. I was just there a few moments ago looking around. I have no idea what I'm looking for...like, maybe, how to keep commands from "evaporating"? My pre's remote is a RC-2000 style remote. It works just fine as far as I can tell. It didn't have any trouble copying the the code for the input for my TS160 that I'm using from my TV's remote. It either can't remember the Samsung codes which doesn't make sense to me or maybe the code constantly changes for the Samsung.

Anybody, what am I up against? I don't understand vanishing commands. Should I just return the Samsung? I want my system remote to operate it and that's seeming unlikely.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Anybody else have any ideas? I'm leaning to returning the 160. The pic has froozen up once already and then there's the maddening remote situation. Why/how do remote codes "fade away" or cease to work?

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Mystery solved! The codes are in fact in my Marantz remote and it can in fact transmit them. The 160's silly, stylish, smoked-plastic, flip-down door prevents penetration of some feeble remotes like mine. Of course the remote window is very cleverly hidden behind said door. Door removal may be in store...?

6. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Rachael,

I have the same 160 Samsung box, and I was going to reply that the learning remote with my Elite 45TX is working fine when I programmed (learned) them in. But, it looks like you solved your problem.

Something you mentioned caught my attention, though, because it just happened to me earlier this evening. You stated that your picture freezes up randomly? The same thing happened to me right after the Daytona 500. The screen was frozen, and there was just audio noise coming from the speakers. Do you have this same problem? If so, how often does it happen? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Jon, I've only had the thang for 3 days and it's frozen up as you described once so far. I had to unplug it to get it to go. It stille doesn't respond well to my system remote. I'm going to play around with it tonight and decide wheather or not to return it tomorrow. I'm wishing I'd bought the Sony 200 or 300 at this point. Best wishes!