What's new

Samsung STB SIR-T165 does scaling? (1 Viewer)

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I've read this STB (set top box) for receiving OTA (over the air) HDTV (you know that one!) has switchable resolution outputs; ie, 780p, 1080i, etc. It also has INPUTS.

If anyone has this recently released product, can you tell us if it will convert a DVD's 480i output to 1080i?

Kort Barlow

Auditioning
"The AV switcher on the T165 works well, but the composite video input needs better comb filtering. I connected my Sony DVP-S7000 DVD player through the composite, S-video, and component jacks on the T165 and checked the up-converted image quality at 720p and 1080i. With composite video, there was a loss of detail at 300 lines and 400 lines using the Video Essentials Zone Plate test and too much color moire."
Source: http://www.projectorexpert.com/Pages/samsung2.html

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have first hand experience with this HDTV receiver? I'm also intrigued by the upconversion capabilities (I'd be piping in the 480i/480p via component), so according to that review link, does this STB do a good job?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Care to summarize the info? There's over 18 pages of comments! :D
From what I gleaned:
It'll do 480i upconversion to 1080i pretty well, but 480p upconversion to 1080i is still problematic (with jaggedness on the top and bottom of the image). But the 480i upconversion seems to be decent enough for some users.
The timing issue (when used with a JVC DVHS recorder) is a problem because it uses the time coming from the HDTV broadcasting channel, and the time is seldom the same on each channel, which causes programming if you do timer recording on different HDTV channels back-to-back. There's no way to set the time within the STB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks