SamSung SlimFit TX-R3079WH CRT: 1/3 thinner!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Keith I, May 12, 2005.

1. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    I've been looking for a new TV for my 2nd story place but don't want something thick and heavy but too pricey either. I refuse to buy plasma and a new RPTV because of burn-in. I have proper contrast, brightness, etc. but the 4:3 grey bars still burned in after watching so much TV on DVD. (I want my cake and eat it too.)

I have a 5-6' viewing space and currently have a 47" RPTV which is not bad. However, I want to downsize because I am going to rearrange the furniture and the home theater would be moving to a different location.

LCDs (both RP and flat-panel) look okay but somehow don't fit my criteria (techincal, physical, price, etc.). CRTs are too heavy and too thick but will ultimately look better than LCD in my opinion (I'm not referring to any HD vs. analog signal, just picture quality of regular broadcast and DVD).

So I was browsing the 'net and came across this model: SamSung TX-R3079WH. It is a CRT that is 1/3 thinner. It has a HDTV tuner, is 16:9, and weighs 120-130lbs. Advertised price is $999 although I don't see it being sold except for Circuit City online. How new is this model? (It is scheduled to come out June 2005.)

I would love different sizes (I can live with 30") and other companies to follow with thinner models. I don't know how good or bad SamSung products are or how their customer/technical service is. I know there are some dealers and at least one service station locally.

www.samsung.com (Products > TV > SlimFit HDTV)

Check out the demo on the main page.

Samsung introduces the new SlimFit(TM) television to the market. At only two-thirds the depth of a conventional flat screen CRT, TX-R3079WH delivers the high brightness, contrast and outstanding picture performance that you demand. This new SlimFit TV not only has a sleek space-saving design but its HDTV built-in tuner, progressive scan and 3:2 pull down deliver a crisp, flicker-free picture. You'll also find a full compliment of connections, 2 auto sensing wideband component inputs, an HDMI input, and 20 watt built-in speakers with BBE audio technology. SlimFit(TM) from Samsung - the final evolution of CRT TV.

I find it funny that it mentions "high brightness, contrast ... that you demand." I know that high brightness and contrast does not make great video quality.

If anyone has any experience with this set, please post it. This set fits my criteria the best.

2. Gary Chaney II

Gary Chaney II Auditioning

Yes with that little of a viewing distance I dont suggest LCD or DLP you might want to wait a little while on these new slim fit crts (not only for price to drop but to assure of quality).

3. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Yes, that is why I am cautiously optimistic and waiting for others to take the plunge/risk first.

However, I made a mistake in the accuracy of my viewing distance. I must have measured it when I was tired or something because I remeasured and my current viewing distance is almost 8'. If I move the home theater to the new location, it will be almost 7'. I guess that is still all right for my 47" TV but being 25" deep, that takes up so much room.
    -